AxeFx III died - and was revived

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
I powered up the AxeFx III and after initialising and going through the loading screen, the screen stays black.
I can't connect with Fractal-bot either.
I contacted G66

I did...after I got the link from you.
Thanks.

1st Procedure: did the test, DDR passed but I wasn't able to updtae
2nd Procedure: I got the Preset #000 but couldn't save it. I also wasn't able to send any backup file

Tried a second time and this time I could save the preset to another location.
I saved it to #100 which was an empty preset.
When going back from #100, the unit froze at #005
So I saved the "preset to the first 5 presets.
That seemed to do the trick.
Then I wanted to import the presets from a previous backup and the unit froze again.
So I think I'll have to try to rebuild those presets from scratch.

Since you have a backup, you might want to consider doing the following to give you some peace of mind. In the Utils(?) menu you can erase all the presets. Might be good to reset the system settings too for sanity. I'd then try reloading the factory presets across all the banks in the unit just to confirm you can read/write to all of the preset numbers without any lockup issues. It's not fool-proof, but could be a good indicator that your onboard flash is OK.

Glad you are on your way to getting this resolved!

I'll try to get everything working again this morning.
As stated, I cleared the first five resets.
When scrolling through the presets, the unit froze at #12.
So, I decided to do an update first.
Didn't help, unit still froze.
Copied preset #000 to #013 - still freezes when trying to go to #014.
Copied preset #000 to #014 - I could scroll up to #258
Made a backup and cleared the presets#258 - 262 in Presets Manager
When closing the Preset Manager Axe Edit started Reading Preset Names but very very slowly - about three seconds per preset
Shut Down Axe Edit.
Rebooted Axe-FX
Decided to scroll through the presets again.
Now the unit froze at #255 - an empty preset.
Exported all presets
While exporting the presets, I noticed Preset manager didn't clear presets #257-262
Deleted them again - Unable to delete
Reset System Parameters
Cleared All Presets - didn't work
Rebooted - Now all presets are cleared.
Changed Global Settings to my previous settings
Imported one presets - all global blocks were reset; reverb set to ultra high
With Fractool I could see that all original amps were saved.
Saved Amps and Cabs as Blocks
I could import Amp1 and Cab 1
Importing Amp2 and Cab2 gave the following error message: "Unable to complete library insert - All available NULL blocks are in use"
Sent Global Settings/System parameters backup with Fractal-Bot
That did the trick
Amp & Cab Parameters could be linked and restored from global block.

Imported presets again.
All is good now

[…]
Imported one presets […]
With Fractool I could see that all original amps were saved.
Saved Amps and Cabs as Blocks
I could import Amp1 and Cab 1
Importing Amp2 and Cab2 gave the following error message: "Unable to complete library insert - All available NULL blocks are in use"
Was this message in Edit or FracTool?

Sent Global Settings/System parameters backup with Fractal-Bot
[…]
Did you use FracTool to import or change your presets? That ability was becoming problematic and Al declared FracTool to be at end-of-life and that Fractal’s *Edit apps are the tools to use instead.

Was this message in Edit or FracTool?

Did you use FracTool to import or change your presets? That ability was becoming problematic and Al declared FracTool to be at end-of-life and that Fractal’s *Edit apps are the tools to use instead.
Since fractool has become depreciated, what is the preferred tool now to convert presets between axefx and fm9?

Just use Axe Edit. You may need to do some pruning of the preset on the III since it might overload the preset or consume too much CPU. There could also be issues because of new features that might not have made it yet into the transfered platform.

Did you use FracTool to import or change your presets
No, AxeEdit.
I used Fractool to check the preset.
Strange that in the preset imported with AxeEdit, the amp & cab wer reset.
But I suspect that was because they were Global Blocks and I hadn't reloaded the system parameters yet.

Just use Axe Edit. You may need to do some pruning of the preset on the III since it might overload the preset or consume too much CPU. There could also be issues because of new features that might not have made it yet into the transfered platform.
Not really the solution for someone upgrading or downgrading from one platform to another. Converting 1000 presets between platforms is a big initiative. Fractool was pretty good at this.

Case in point, I'm upgrading from fm9 to ax3. Hence my interest in this thread and an axefx3 in trouble. Now I have to convert my entire fm9 preset catalog to axefx3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really the solution for someone upgrading or downgrading from one platform to another. Converting 1000 presets between platforms is a big initiative.
[…]
Now I have to convert my entire fm9 preset catalog to axefx3.
That’s easily done because the FM9 presets are a subset of the FX3’s. Just back up the FM9, open Axe-Edit’s Preset Manager, drop the bank backup file into the left-pane, the browser, and drag the presets to import into the destination preset slots. Save the presets when you’re done.

That’s easily done because the FM9 presets are a subset of the FX3’s. Just back up the FM9, open Axe-Edit’s Preset Manager, drop the bank backup file into the left-pane, the browser, and drag the presets to import into the destination preset slots. Save the presets when you’re done.
thanks Greg

thanks Greg
Thank Fractal, they did the hard part. :)

Going from the smaller units to the larger is easy. It's not quite as easy when going from the FX3 down to its siblings. Between having parameters and blocks that are not available on the FM units, and the FX3 having a lot more CPU, and Cliff developing on the FX3 like a madman, it's often a bit ahead of the FM models so their Edit apps, or firmware, might complain or not show the parameters correctly. Their firmware won't mess with the FX3 preset after being imported though and once their firmware and Edit catches up everything should be fine again.

Back
Top Bottom