AxeFX II - One week after arrival

Gjeven

After some slight technical problems the first couple of days from being a new user to equipment of the AxFX universe, I've gotten everything setup where I'm was able to test out the AxeFX II.

First off, I spent making my own patches of amps that I always wanted to play...Diezel, Marsha, Cameron etc. And what I found out is I have no idea how to make those amps sound good :lol So I started using patches from users on this forum, and they sound amazing.

Then I started making patches with amps I am very familiar with, the Dual Rectifier and the Mark IV (Im a Mark V owner). I found it interesting that adjusting the virtual tone knobs affected the guitar tone in a very similar way to the actual amp tone knobs do. My early impressions are that the modeling is very, very close to a tube amp. So close that only people extremely familiar with a specific amp could tell the difference, the average person definitely would never know. I think the modeling will eventually get there, but right now this is pretty damn close.

The way I look at the modeling versus a tube amp is similar to the old argument of Vinyl vs CD's. Maybe, its more like a record player versus a CD changer. The record will arguably sound better, but the convenience of having multiple music sources can somewhat outweigh the slight sound improvements. (I don't want to start a Vinyl vs CD thread ;) ) For me, I would love to have many different sounding amplifiers, but my bank account can not afford having 5-6 amps at $3-4k per. Now I have access it a wide variety of amps, effects, mics and speaker cabs.

I will still be keeping my Dual Rectifier and my beloved Mark V amp, but I can see me using the AxFX 90% of the time.

congrats on your new axe II. i am a fellow mark V owner and i love that amp. it seems that a lot of folks are hung up on "which one is best?" and i think those folks would be doing themselves a favor if they thought of it more as "which one is best for a given job?". my experience with the axe and the mark V is that they both sound great and that they both require a significant investment of time to become proficient in dialing up killer tones. enjoy the journey!

I'm using a powered Atomic Amps cab. I'm debating on on getting another Atomic Amp cab, but passive...running the powered cab I have now in passive and getting an power amp. Or just get a power amp and run the Axefx thru my 2x12 recto cab. The Atomic Amp cab sounds good, but I miss the 2x12 feel. Running two atomic amp cabs might help. Its funny how a lot about guitar playing / tone is much a feel as it is actual sounds.

Balanced reveiw
What???
cartoons6.jpg
cartoons7.jpg
cartoons8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom