AxeFX II Lights Stay On During Startup: POSSIBLE SOLUTION HERE

nojyeloot

Experienced
It seems like a LOT of guys are having this related problem with the AxeFX II not starting up correctly.

FYI:

Last week I sent my AxeFX II back for repairs b/c on startup either all, or some of the lights would light up and the AxeFX would "freeze" up with various symptoms (static output, blank green LCD, one or both output light rows lit, etc).

AxeFXlights1024x657.jpg

Before I sent it off, I had emailed Fractal Support regarding the problem (who is VERY willing to help 8)) and they replied with this potential cause:
Some early units had temperamental primary oscillators that wouldn’t always start properly. This can cause the unit to not boot on power-up occasionally. We can replace the oscillator if this bothers you. However, the unit should be otherwise fine.

So I sent it back to them and Charlie at FAS has been testing it for the last couple days unable to replicate my problem when an associate notified him that several others had experienced this same problem. The common denominator was the Furman Power Conditioner. I use the M-8Lx model.

M-8Lx.jpg

In my rack, my AxeFX II's power switch is always [ON]. So, I would use my Furman M-8Lx Power Conditioner to power up/protect my rig (AxeFX II/GCP). Charlie suspected my problem is happening because of my power-on procedure. Furthermore, he speculated that perhaps the Furmans are giving the AxeFX II a "power spike" which, in a manner, overloads the AxeFX.

FAS recommended power-up procedure: 1) Furman Power Conditioner --> 2) AxeFX II.
My incorrect power-up procedure: 1) AxeFX II --> 2) Furman Power Conditioner

So, I should have it back this week and will test it without my Furman Conditioner and with it (using the FAS recommended power-on procedure) and report back.

GUYS THAT ARE HAVING THIS PROBLEM: If you would, please try out this procedure if you're doing it the same was I was and post your results. I hope this helps.

It seems like a LOT of guys are having this related problem with the AxeFX II not starting up correctly.

FYI:

Last week I sent my AxeFX II back for repairs b/c on startup either all, or some of the lights would light up and the AxeFX would "freeze" up with various symptoms (static output, blank green LCD, one or both output light rows lit, etc).

View attachment 12417

Before I sent it off, I had emailed Fractal Support regarding the problem (who is VERY willing to help 8)) and they replied with this potential cause:

So I sent it back to them and Charlie at FAS has been testing it for the last couple days unable to replicate my problem when an associate notified him that several others had experienced this same problem. The common denominator was the Furman Power Conditioner. I use the M-8Lx model.

View attachment 12418

In my rack, my AxeFX II's power switch is always [ON]. So, I would use my Furman M-8Lx Power Conditioner to power up/protect my rig (AxeFX II/GCP). Charlie suspected my problem is happening because of my power-on procedure. Furthermore, he speculated that perhaps the Furmans are giving the AxeFX II a "power spike" which, in a manner, overloads the AxeFX.

FAS recommended power-up procedure: 1) Furman Power Conditioner --> 2) AxeFX II.
My incorrect power-up procedure: 1) AxeFX II --> 2) Furman Power Conditioner

So, I should have it back this week and will test it without my Furman Conditioner and with it (using the FAS recommended power-on procedure) and report back.

GUYS THAT ARE HAVING THIS PROBLEM: If you would, please try out this procedure if you're doing it the same was I was and post your results. I hope this helps.

Confirmed. I noticed this once when I shut off my rig at a gig (a few beers and LOUD music can muddy the senses) without turning off the Axe. Next practice, turned the Furman on and saw wonkiness immediately. Turned the Axe off and on and it was back to normal immediately. I'm usually pretty good about my start up and shut down procedure but noticed this right away. Anyway, M-8Lx power conditioner so...

^Thanks man.

So, I presume that's an inference that the M-8Lx is a piece of junk? If so, what do you suggest?

Well, I wouldn't say it's junk, necessarily. I mean, I got mine for $80 on fleabay in "like new" condition so I'm completely OK with its performance. I think I've seen Cliff mention that voltage regulation is not necessary on the Axe FX as it will operate fine under conditions less than optimal so I bought the unit as a way to have a power strip in my rack is all. It does some noise filtering and has two isolated output sections to keep things, well, isolated, so I don't think it's a bad unit for what it is. If you want voltage regulation (which would probably help with the power on stuff), you'll need to jump up a price point or two but again, if you just change up your power up sequence, you'll be fine and still have protection from some noise and (hopefully) voltage spikes outside the unit.

I am no expert but that was my logic on using the M-8Lx rather than something that costs more. You're probably fine but if you want a serious upgrade and voltage regulation in a rack unit, you'll probably need to pay for it. Whether or not it is worth the investment is up to you, of course.

Well, I got mine free so... hahaha

Good info man. I DO appreciate it your info and will keep it in mind. :)

I hope this is helpful... I haven't had my Axe FX II very long, but I am using a Furman PL Plus within my rack and I always power on the furman first. I wait for the power lights to come on fully, and to have stable power, THEN I power on the Axe FX II and then the Matrix poweramp. I have never experienced any issues with any of my equipment so far turning everything on and off in this manner.

This is a known issue and cause. Wiki: Powering the Axe-Fx II on/off - Axe-Fx II Wiki
It happens with my unit. When connected to a power conditioner the issue (freeze during startup) occurs far more often than without.
Without the power conditioner it happens just now and then. It shouldn't of course, but nothing to worry about.

a not booting axe fx can make me worry after a change over in a 10 minuits hurry and not beeing able to start the gig :D

This is a known issue and cause. Wiki: Powering the Axe-Fx II on/off - Axe-Fx II Wiki
It happens with my unit. When connected to a power conditioner the issue (freeze during startup) occurs far more often than without.
Without the power conditioner it happens just now and then. It shouldn't of course, but nothing to worry about.

I'm glad it's a known issue. Makes me feel much better. Would've been nice to know before I was recommended to contact support and after I received the 'suspected problem' email response from support. Oh well, piece of mind is bliss though. No hard feelings whatsoever :)

My power up/down process was just turn on/off the Monster power in my rack and I was having the freeze issue, Matt suggested turning on the Axe after monster and off before monster, haven't had an issue since... knock wood.

Maybe my unit is a newer one without the oscillator issue, but I have a M-8Lx as well and I dont get this issue. Axe-fx is always on and I use the Furman to power everything on and off.
Im glad you were able to figure out what the cause was. I must have not read that wiki entry before.

Got my AxeFX II back in November '11. They said mine didn't have the oscillator issue either.

That's fortunate, I'd really like if mine did that. "Lucky".

Ya, I had NO clue. I figured when I originally posted about the problem, that the 20+ people on the threads would know about that wiki. Looks like Yek's knowledge > than the combined knowledge of 2-3 threads of this nature.

Back
Top Bottom