AxeFx II Cost Comparison

Rotti

Fractal Fanatic
I thought I would share something today. As a new/intermediate AxeFxII user, this is my approach to designing presets, and a rudimentary cost analysis of owning an AxeFx rig vs. tube amps & pedals. Maybe this will spark some ideas for other new users.

I begin by planning out my “dream rig,” every amp and pedal equivalent in tangible form that I could realistically replicate in the AFX. Of course, there are some exceptions to each (i.e., real world pedals that I, personally, lack the skill to near-perfectly match, routing options that would be almost impossible or overbearingly expensive to execute with traditional rigs, etc.). Think of this as a very close educated guess.

I generally use four basic tones, one each for clean/crunch/heavy/lead. I picked my favorite in the Axe for each, although I admit there are some tube amps that would be nearly capable of doing multiple tasks much like my presets in the Axe.

My real world rig would look something like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rrdj7korqe4wss/FAS rig - Copy.jpg

Naturally, not every piece of gear would be in the signal chain at the same time, and not all pieces are a perfect 1-for-1 value in the Axe (sound quality, flexibility, etc.), but this is a good representation of how I would spend my money (assuming an infinite supply) to do what I do with my AFXII. I didn't bother to go down the rabbit hole of routing options and equipment necessary to actually make all of that gear usable without an army of techs on standby.

For fun, I then took it one step further and tried to compare the new prices of me Axe rig vs. the “real world” counterparts.

My Axe rig consists of the AFXII, a 1U Matrix GT1000FX, a Line 6 POD HD500 (as a MIDI controller and back-up rig, although as a non-gigging guitarist, I doubt I will ever need it in that capacity) and a pair of passive Atomic CLR wedges (should get any day now!). There are other pieces, such as a power conditioner, wireless unit, and of course my guitar, but I did not include these in my total as they would be equally useful with either the Axe rig or a traditional set up. I am also not including the costs associated with cables and rack cases, but naturally the AxeFx would have a significant advantage in such areas, not only in cost but also ease of use and reliability.

The new cost for the items I listed, not counting shipping, is $4,947.85. Let’s call it $4,950.00 for simplicity. I should also note that every last piece of my Fractal rig was purchased used. For the same items listed, I spent much closer to $3,500.00.

The cost for the real world equivalents is:
Amps = $11,938.00
Effects = $3,182.65
Cabs = $2,289.00
Total = $17,409.65 (let’s call it $17,400.00)
Difference between AxeFxII rig and what I would need to do the same thing: $12,450.00.

I could see the difference being significantly less for someone who only needs a tube screamer, 5150, and whatever 412 cab they found on craigslist. I could also see the difference being far beyond what I have for my needs for those of you who consider yourselves “power users.”

Again, this is just for fun and to maybe help some users get new ideas. Feel free to discuss any aspect of this.

I thought about trying to figure that out, until I realized there are things going on in the axe that either (a) cannot be done physically, or (b) would require dozens of expression pedals, outboard gear for which there is not *direct* equivalent, etc.
...I lack the time and patience to make that happen. My (very rough) ballpark estimate would be in the mid/low 6-figure range.

Nice.

Does anyone know how much the cost will be to buy everything in the Axe?

That would be a fun one, however, difficult, as when you go past the amp models, and past the cabs, the effects can cover such a wide range of pedals. The chorus block alone can pretty much cover any pedal on the market, with tweaks, so does it replace 1 pedal, 5 pedals, 25 pedals ?

I think we are looking at $100k easily, but then again, that isn't so much real money and isn't a store of value.

Some amps and pedals will appreciate. My CE-1 chorus I paid $100 for I sold for $600 10 years later. My Green Russian Muff I paid $59 for I sold for $400. Real gear has real value, while the equiv. in the Axe sounds great, and saves me money, its not so much apples and oranges.

Axe is only going to go down in price on the used market. A lot of hardware gear will go down too, but some will go up.

I'd ideally like to have $20k of hardware gear more than I would a $2k Axe that can replicate $20k of hardware. I'd leave the hardware at home and in the studio and take the Axe to gigs for sure though!

Considering Cliff owns everything in the unit and surely bought all the items as "business expenses", I'm sure he could chime in if he desires. I'd like to see the Quickbooks report.

Just the Dumble was over 50k, so I'm going to go with about $400k.

It really depends on the standard used. Considering the AxeFx is ideal for live use (and studio, but just to make a point...), the theoretical cost of a real world equivalent is virtually endless.

While completely valid, for this example I will disregard lqdsnddist's point of the Axe replacing multiple pedals per effect block.

Let's assume you have 100+ presets that only employ Dumbles and Trainwrecks at $30K+ each. Now let's assume each preset has a different BMT setting and different wiring schemes. To replicate the quick switching, you'd either need many multiples of each tube amp or a vast payroll.
Think about having to have x2-x4 of EVERYTHING it *can* replace for EACH patch...

The value adds up quick, and we haven't even considered ACTUALLY gigging this equipment. You'd need at least a large semi just to transport it. Are you going to show up a day early to load in? Stay a day late to load out? Could it be run remotely (because if you're playing anything less than stadiums, there's not enough room to house your backline)?

Is any of that realistic? No, of course not, but it is theoretically the maximum standard to use for a litmus test IMO.

I meant physical products you can buy the real versions of, everything that is modelled on something real. The Axe's effects are essentially the unit doing its own thing.

I recall someone mentioning how one day we might see a boutique tube amp builder try to replicate tones of "vintage" FAS original model amps (FAS Modern, etc.). I'd be very interested to see what a tube equivalent of some of them would go for today.

Also, I would imagine FAS's costs for modeling all of these amps would be slightly less than our cost to own one (or two - especially two) of each. IIRC, a small handful of the models are purely from schematics...?

Unless your last name is Gates or Buffett (Jimmy or Warren, take your pick), the cost of everything the AxeFX models is out of range of most of us.

Back
Top Bottom