AxeFx II - Boston Longtime Solo Tone Clone SC and Preset

groovenut

Power User
Alright my Fractal brothers and sisters, tonight I was channeling some serious Tom Scholz. This little solo has always been one of my favorite tones because it's not nearly as tame as some of the other solo tones on this album. It's short and full of fire. I used my trusty Gibson Les Paul (what else would you use for Boston) with the Duncan JB in the bridge for this one. I think it turned out pretty good.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pzjue5cx5xeizyt/Long Time Solo TM.mp3
(Sorry SC was being crappy about uploading it)

The trickiest part of playing any Boston solo is getting the vibrato right.... well that and having a Les Paul...did I mention that....

I look forward to hearing what you all have to say about this one!

Excellent, sounds just like the original. That's probably the best lead tone of its type that I have heard posted on here. Great job.

Just to clarify, the solo was done by Barry Goudreau, not Tom Shoktz, and the guitar was a Gibson SG not a Les Paul. Tom is playing B3 Organ on that tune.

Very nice patch - thank you - are you using Jammit for the backing track - I have all the Boston tunes on Jammit and they are awesome to play along with.

Just to clarify, the solo was done by Barry Goudreau, not Tom Shoktz, and the guitar was a Gibson SG not a Les Paul. Tom is playing B3 Organ on that tune.
Does that mean I have to re-record it channeling Barry and bust out my SG? :D
Very nice patch - thank you - are you using Jammit for the backing track - I have all the Boston tunes on Jammit and they are awesome to play along with.
Not using Jammit. I made the backing track using center canceling. This one was a good candidate for that. I will look into Jammit though. Thanks!

New Stripped Down Preset

Looks like there may have also been an issue with external controllers so here is a stripped down preset. If you have had issues with the preset not sounding right, try this one.

Try this backing track

This is original tracks without lead guitar. Throw your lead over this groovenut. It will probably sit better in mix than with center cancelling.

Now with new backing track

Here is the solo with the new backing track so graciously donated by Mailbox103. You will probably need to increase the reverb and delay levels in the patch to achieve similar results.

Back
Top Bottom