AXEFX FAN ISSUES

So does replacing the fan void the warranty?

If the fan is so noisy, why hasn't Cliff changed the type of fan he puts in there?

Replacing the fan with one that puts out at least 14CFM does not void the warranty (search the forum for Silenx). No idea why it doesn't come with one more quiet. I'd guess that there's been no change because at stage volume it doesn't matter.

geamala said:
ummm i'm in australia. i'm not sure of the availability of silenx fans here other than sourcing them online. thats why i was wndrn about other brands that i might be able t get here in OZ that would have similar performance. i guesse i'll just go to the computer store in town and ask there.
Are these available there?
http://www.noiseblocker.de/en/BlackSilent60.php

Supposedly the XR1 is installed by G66, but you'd need the XR2 to maintain the warranty.

shasha said:
Just bought a SilenX fan (the one recommended). Didn't turn at all when power was applied.

It's a simple fix; I don't know if it was from shipping, but the cone wasn't popped all the way in. A gentle push and it clicked right in, fired up and is nice and quiet; no rattle or anything.

Can't swear that is the OP's problem, but it worked for me.

Same thing for me for one of the two silenx order !!

gibsonash said:
shasha said:
Just bought a SilenX fan (the one recommended). Didn't turn at all when power was applied.

It's a simple fix; I don't know if it was from shipping, but the cone wasn't popped all the way in. A gentle push and it clicked right in, fired up and is nice and quiet; no rattle or anything.

Same thing for me for one of the two silenx order !!

In that case, I'll have to give this a try!

My AxeFX Standard's fan started making a noise today. I'm surprised reading here that the fan gets noisy so quickly. My computer has Noctua fans that have been running non-stop for three years and it's still very quiet.

Funny - I don't think I've read of the fan becoming more noisy as time goes on; all of the threads I recall are about swapping the fan out because it is loud from the start...

sean.e said:
shasha said:

Wow - thanks for the advice! Just bought a new one off the shelf at Fry's in Palo Alto, CA. Exact same problem solved by a gentle push that resulted in a click - something snapped together and now it spins (silently).

Which model did you find at Fry's? As far as I could tell at that exact same store, they only have the IXP-34-16 but not the IXP-34-12.

Hey shasha, thanks a lot! After half an hour sweating and trying to make the new Silenx fan work, I gave it up as impossible, packed it again, and before returning it to the online shop where I bought it, I thought about taking a look here.

I found yout solution and it now it works and it's dead silent!

Thank you!

Hey shasha, thanks a lot! After half an hour sweating and trying to make the new Silenx fan work, I gave it up as impossible, packed it again, and before returning it to the online shop where I bought it, I thought about taking a look here.

I found yout solution and it now it works and it's dead silent!

Thank you!
Cool!

I just finished replacing the fan in my Ultra with the recommended Silenx fan and it is dead quiet now. To do the modification I used the following items...

4x #6-32 machine screws 1.5" long
4x #6 lock washers
4x 1" sections of heat shrink tubing
4x rubber grommets

The heat shrink tubing probably isn't necessary but I used it anyway. With the lock washer and the rubber grommet there was no need to shorten the 1.5" machine screws. I added the lock washers to keep the screws from working their way loose. IMO these should have been used on the stock fan. The screws that were in mine were very loose and over time probably would have backed themselves out of their holes. The fan is so quiet that I doubt that even the rubber grommets are needed. Without them though it might be necessary to shorten the macine screws a tad.

396177431.jpg

396177433.jpg

Back
Top Bottom