AxeFX 2 live output configurations

Hey all,

Before I get into it - just want to say that I've found much that I've needed over the years through searching this forum, so haven't felt a need to post myself till now! Thanks to all who have contributed to the vast wealth of knowledge on here.

Ok, so - up until recently I've happily used the AxeFX in stereo for recording and mono for live use. I want to try to change things up a bit for shows now, and I'd love some advice on whether this method (outlined ahead) will work and if there are any potential pitfalls.

Here's what I'm thinking:

- Main signal (mono pitch/mod/drive effects > amp > cab) is set as stereo but exactly the same on both L and R. Out 1L goes to FOH and Out 1R goes to FRFR wedge on stage

- Chain (path) in AxeFX splits off after cab to create a parallel signal for time-based effects (delay/reverb). This is sent to Out 2 through an FXL block in stereo, straight to FOH

So, if this works, I have a 'dry' mono signal sent to both FOH and my own personal FRFR wedge, and a 'wet' effects signal out in stereo just to FOH. Essentially this would allow big, beautiful stereo effects without losing the punch and direction of a mono amp sound, plus allow a little extra monitoring on stage as well as volume for the front row with the FRFR wedge.

1. Does this work/make sense?

2. Would I need any other gear to make this work? How do I connect Out 2 at a gig? I'd like the most self-contained situation so I can basically just hand a snake out to whoever is doing sound, or at least have whatever I ask for be extremely simple

3. Any suggestion or improvements to the concept? I know I won't be getting my delay/reverb through my FRFR wedge, but thst wedge is just for clarity and I could always ask for some of the 'wet' sound in my stage monitor - might even be kinda cool that way!

Anyhoo, let me know what you think! Thanks much,

Aman

Last edited:
Seems like more work than necessary. I send output 1 to FOH and output 2 to my CLR. If you want stereo for FOH, send it to them. It sounds like you're doing a pseudo WDW rig.

Hey all,

Before I get into it - just want to say that I've found much that I've needed over the years through searching this forum, so haven't felt a need to post myself till now! Thanks to all who have contributed to the vast wealth of knowledge on here.

Ok, so - up until recently I've happily used the AxeFX in stereo for recording and mono for live use. I want to try to change things up a bit for shows now, and I'd love some advice on whether this method (outlined ahead) will work and if there are any potential pitfalls.

Here's what I'm thinking:

- Main signal (mono pitch/mod/drive effects > amp > cab) is set as stereo but exactly the same on both L and R. Out 1L goes to FOH and Out 1R goes to FRFR wedge on stage

- Chain (path) in AxeFX splits off after cab to create a parallel signal for time-based effects (delay/reverb). This is sent to Out 2 through an FXL block in stereo, straight to FOH

So, if this works, I have a 'dry' mono signal sent to both FOH and my own personal FRFR wedge, and a 'wet' effects signal out in stereo just to FOH. Essentially this would allow big, beautiful stereo effects without losing the punch and direction of a mono amp sound, plus allow a little extra monitoring on stage as well as volume for the front row with the FRFR wedge.

1. Does this work/make sense?

2. Would I need any other gear to make this work? How do I connect Out 2 at a gig? I'd like the most self-contained situation so I can basically just hand a snake out to whoever is doing sound, or at least have whatever I ask for be extremely simple

3. Any suggestion or improvements to the concept? I know I won't be getting my delay/reverb through my FRFR wedge, but thst wedge is just for clarity and I could always ask for some of the 'wet' sound in my stage monitor - might even be kinda cool that way!

Anyhoo, let me know what you think! Thanks much,

Aman
Seems to me OUT2 is a better choice for monitor. You have a separate level and equalization so you can fix your monitor mix while not effecting the FOH signal. To do this just make sure that OUT2 does not echo OUT1 (setting in IO or global menu). Include an FX block either prior to CAB block if you are using a power amp and guitar cab or after the CAB block if you are going FRFR.

Seems like more work than necessary. I send output 1 to FOH and output 2 to my CLR. If you want stereo for FOH, send it to them. It sounds like you're doing a pseudo WDW rig.

Gotcha. Yeah actually the idea was to cheat a W/D/W kind of situation - won't that have more punch and clarity, and flexibility of level for a better mix?

Seems to me OUT2 is a better choice for monitor. You have a separate level and equalization so you can fix your monitor mix while not effecting the FOH signal. To do this just make sure that OUT2 does not echo OUT1 (setting in IO or global menu). Include an FX block either prior to CAB block if you are using a power amp and guitar cab or after the CAB block if you are going FRFR.

Yeah I thought thst initially, but then I lose the ability to have 3 outs for a W/D/W type of situation, right?

Back
Top Bottom