AxeFest UK monitor shootout

I definitely couldn't go FRFR or direct live. It's gotta be amps/Axe&amp thru 4x12's for me. Though unfortunately the Axe isn't quite able to replace my live amps for my new project just yet. Hopefully with time and more additions I'll be using it live full time. I can seriously do without dragging sometimes 2/3 heads around to bigger shows.

Depends on the monitors I guess.
The low end extension of an 8" studio nearfields isn't going to be the same as a 12" speaker in the RCF of the Matrix monitors.
No matter how flat they are down to around 100hz there will be a drop off around 80hz and under 60hz you will hear little.

Depends on the monitors more than on the size of the woofer. My K+H 0300Ds have 8" bass speakers IMO and they are more or less flat down to 35Hz (without a subwoofer).

Those weren't D&B, they were the now out of date dB Technologies M12-4+. Quite a bit of difference. Like you could get six dBs for one D&B? That one is passive so sixteen if you include the D&B amp.

Actually I liked my dB the least, as in they have a sharpness in the highs I usually dial out a bit in the Global EQ. LEMs were nicely balanced and RCF slightly darker and more... pleasant.
But the dBs are (were) cheap compared to the RCF (1/3) and really held out better than I expected. Aside from the sharpness and some directivity there really was nothing to be ashamed about.

Still. There's something to dream about. Really wishing to take a look at the 10SMA...

Sorry, my bad Dutch.
They did sound ok. More than ok from where I was standing ;)
And I had them all pointing at my lemon.
I also wish you had taken a 10SMA along :razz

Scott
out of curiosity, is it difficult working with a sub....

I can see the benefits, but from what I've read about them it's seems that it's not easy to balance them with your other monitors
the info I read [a while back] was essentially saying "if you don't add them to your monitoring correctly they can do more harm than good"
I guess that kinda put me off of them..

This is such an interesting thread. Before I opened it, I thought it was steer me straight on the road. Somehow I've ended up going in a ditch instead. :)

I remember having a similar experience when I tried out the Rocktron Velocity 300 Power Amp. Every review I read, people were ranting and raving on how much they loved it and how great it sounded. I was so convinced I'd love it, that I bought one without even hearing it...and hated it. :) Not only did I hate it, but it was within several minutes. It is crazy how different folks can like different tones, sounds, etc.

Follow your own path. I like the Matrix gear because, IMHO, it doesn't taint/colour the sound. It does what I want of it. All this stuff on here does not matter. What matters is finding what works for you. I've got the top grade NiceChris rig (well I will when I get a third CFR12 :) ). Clarky's got the rig that works for him, he uses Marshall PA and 4x12, he still manages to get a great tone through my gear.

Try all the gear you can from whoever you can. All the great companies will let you return the kit if you don't like it.

I like to be able to turn my sub on/off for mixing or creating presets for the AxeFx.

I have a professionally treated room too, but in my opinion, it is rare for a room to be flat below 80hz. That takes some big $$. My room is in my home so I could only go so far with changes. As such I've got really good flat response above 400 not so good below 400.

But, for me, as long as I can turn the sub on and off and use a spectrum analyzer to see what is going on in the low octaves if I need too, I like having the sub.

Back
Top Bottom