Axe3 presets or blocks into the FM3

Sturla

Inspired
I’ve been out of the FM3 loop for a while.

With the current firmwares, is it possible to load Axe3 presets into the FM3 (within the cpu and grid limitations)?

Is it also possible to insert blocks from the Axe3 into FM3 presets using the editor software(s)?

Yes.

FM3-Edit can import Axe-Fx III and FM9 presets into the unit. Where it can't make things fit, it'll do a best effort thing. You might not always like the outcome.

You can even share block libraries between all three units now.

Is there a rule of thumb on how cpu heavy axe3 presets can be and still fit in the FM3?

Would a preset around 50% cpu load in the axe3 normally run ok in the FM3?

No. Because it’s not just a matter of CPU. Also CPU core use is balanced differently in the devices.

Is there a rule of thumb on how cpu heavy axe3 presets can be and still fit in the FM3?

Would a preset around 50% cpu load in the axe3 normally run ok in the FM3?
That’s an ok starting point but it really depends on the specifics. I’d make a copy on the axe, reduce blocks, export, import and see what happens, then adjust on the Axe3 again once you know how it works on the FM3.

The thing is, I don't have a FM3 (yet). I'm just trying to get a more practical grasp of what it can do before I make a decision.

Maybe someone would be so super kind and try to load this example-preset, and report back how it fits? It runs about 50% on the Axe3, and contains Wah - phaser - drive - amp - cab (single IR) - flanger - chorus - volume - reverb (normal quality) - delay - looper.

Attachments

• P90 Test.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
The thing is, I don't have a FM3 (yet). I'm just trying to get a more practical grasp of what it can do before I make a decision.

Maybe someone would be so super kind and try to load this example-preset, and report back how it fits? It runs about 50% on the Axe3, and contains Wah - phaser - drive - amp - cab (single IR) - flanger - chorus - volume - reverb (normal quality) - delay - looper.
You know about the FM9, right?

Yeah I know about the FM9. But it would be super handy with the smaller FM3. Already got a FC-6 for the cases when extra switches are needed.

Took the plunge, and purchased a Fm3
And for my own questions:

• Yes, transferring presets from an AxeIII worked without problems
  • Yes, cpu load about 50% on the AxeIII is roughly the tipping point, at least for my typical presets.

A couple of tips for more or less plug&play transfer of presets:

• Make your AxeIII presets with the Fm3 grid in mind
  • Keep the user cabs in sync between the two units
  • Find a footswitch scheme that saves you from assigning the switches from scratch on the Fm3

Back
Top Bottom