Axe3 is a swiss army knife for tube amps, made even better with Xload!

Chris Hurley

Power User
Wasn't sure where to put this-

I know that most people here primarily use the Axe3 instead of a tube amp, but at least a few people like me also enjoy using a tube amp at least some of the time. There is a tactile experience with the real knobs and switches that I enjoy when its feasible.

I've mentioned before that the Axe3 is a tube amp's best friend. It is like an expansion set for the amp where you can put stuff before the amp, in the loop and various other ways. Its a force multiplier for an amp and turns a great single channel amp into a universe of tones.

I recently sold off a Fryette Powerstation 2 and was in need of some sort of reactive load to use with my tube amps. The sometimes elusive Xload was available, so I bought one. Now the PS2 is a fantastic device, but I was thinking I might want a PS100 at some point and had an opportunity to move the PS2 so I did.

Friends, the XLoad is a great sounding reactive load! I have been running my 50 or 100 watt amp heads as my "main course" into the xload and then running that into the Fractal for all the side dishes. Running back out into my choice of solid state power amps and I have an amazing rig.

Sure, you can run without the tube amp and load altogether (and I frequently do) but this is just another way to enjoy a great amp at whatever volume I want, with real knobs and that tactile experience that some of us enjoy.

If you have an application where a reactive load is helpful, this is a good 'un!

Back
Top Bottom