Axe XL through a bypassed Axe II ???

pneil2

Inspired
Ok, This is a weird question but it's an odd situation so...

Here goes. I'm slated to play with some friends at a venue that has a couple of Axe II's in their system already. They're wired up in large racks, routed to wireless monitor sends, etc. Great.

I am planning on using my Axe-fx XL with my dozens of carefully crafted patches. Their response is "well, it would really be better if you used one of our Fractals." They're stuffed in a large rack near the stage. No real programming and no foot controllers. This is a no go idea. I get the impression that someone set up their system for them and left, with no one there that really has a handle on exactly how or why it works. Their attitude seems to be, "it works, don't touch it!".

I had this brainstorm, what if I just ran an unbalanced out from my XL, into the front panel input of their Axe-fx II, and put their Axe-fx II in bypass mode. I could use mine, with my presets, footcontrollers, etc. All of their PA and wireless in-ear system doesn't see any difference. Seems like a reasonable solution.

I understand (from the wiki) that there's a 6db drop between input and output, but I can just bump my output level on the XL to compensate (when we set gain levels).

Thoughts? Has anyone tried this (probably not too likely)?

Last edited:
Use AES or SPDIF to feed your XL into their Axe's. No signal loss and no extra noise that way. Only one XLR cable needed to go from AES out on yours to AES in on theirs. Set Main input source on theirs to AES/SPDIF and bingo.

Use AES or SPDIF to feed your XL into their Axe's. No signal loss and no extra noise that way. Only one XLR cable needed to go from AES out on yours to AES in on theirs. Set Main input source on theirs to AES/SPDIF and bingo.

Good idea, I'm not sure they'll let me muck about in their rack, but I'll take a cable just in case. Anybody else?

I tried 3 modes.

SPDIF didn't work at all. I got a LOT of noise. It may have been my cabling. I was sending from an XL to an Ultra if that has any bearing on the issue.

Front panel analog: This worked but had some odd artifacts. I lost a lot of high end clarity. It may be due to the "special sauce" on the front end input.

Rear Panel analog: This was the best case and seend pretty comparable to running directly out of the Axe. I had to do a bit of juggling of input and output levels between the two devices, but it seemed to give hte best results.

FYI

I tried 3 modes.

SPDIF didn't work at all. I got a LOT of noise. It may have been my cabling. I was sending from an XL to an Ultra if that has any bearing on the issue.

Ultra analog outputs don't work while using SPDIF input.

Back
Top Bottom