Axe With Tech 21 Trademark 60

quark

Experienced
Has anyone ever run a Axe-Fx into a Tech 21 Trademark 60 amp? I'm wondering whether that combination could be considered anything close to an FRFR system since I've seen some posts that seem to speak highly of the Tech 21 Power Engines. I assume the way to run with the Trademark 60 would be to skip the Sans-Amp preamp section by putting the output of the Axe into the Effects Return Loop of the Trademark 60.

Curious if anyone has run that combo and what their experience with it was - that is, in terms of bringing out the best of the Axe.

Thanks ....

I've spoken highly of the Power Wedge 60 and assume the Trademark is the same thing with a preamp. It's not remotely FRFR nor do I expect it to be nearly as good as the Fractomic (though I'm way down the list and haven't gotten the call on that yet so I haven't personally experienced it yet). I use it mostly with cabinet emulation off which takes away a good portion of the Axe's goodness.

I wouldn't claim that it's anywhere near the higher end FRFR solutions people have been using. I'm mostly a 1-12 jazzy/bluesy/funky/rootsy kind of player who has played into a lot of clean amps (Fender, Musicman, Matchless) plus pedals. Emulating this kind of setup, the Power Wedge works pretty darn well with the Axe, but part of that is because I'm used to a 1-12 sound. I wouldn't expect the Trademark to be great for the full spectrum of Axe tones in the way that a good FRFR solution would.

So, if you've got one, by all means try it. Or better yet, try 2. 2 used Power Wedges is probably as cheap and easily carried stereo solution as you could find short of in ears. The Tech 21 products are a good budget solution for some sounds. Just don't expect it to be anywhere near FRFR.

Mike

Thanks Mike - appreciate the feedback. I own a Tech 21 and an Axe but don't have much experience with any other amps - especially tube amps so I was wondering how good of a match the Tech21 and Axe might be in the opinion of others with more 'amp experience'. Your inputs help. Hope you get time to post a Reactor review once you get yours delivered.

Back
Top Bottom