Axe with gr20/ gr55?

MisterF

Anyone ever used a gr20 or gr55 with their axe units?? I have both and I want to use them (preferably the 55) with my axe fx. The 55 requires 2 amp Inputs (like most fender amps have) and the axe only has 1 guitar out in front, is it possible to route this through the chain somehow? Because the gr uses 13 pin to the guitar it has be be first thing going into my guitar. Thanks guys!

I used to do this. I ran the guitar into Input 1, humbuckers left and piezo right (or vice versa), and a GR-33 into Input 2. In all cases the rear input sockets were used. The guitar pickups lose a lot of tone if you run their signal down the 13 core cable and through the GR-33. Consequently I used to run two cables from the guitar, 13 core for the GR-33, and 2 core for the humbuckers and piezo.

Hey man thanks for the advice, the 55 requires two inputs unlike the previous model (gr20) and maybe earlier
Models, which requires me to keep the normal pickups in their own chain seperate from the synth pickup. And basically your saying I don't have to use the main first input in the front at all, I can just use the two in the back? Thanks again!

What do you mean 2 inputs? Can't you just plug in the 13pin cable to the gr-55, use the gr55 guitar out into axe as well as the outputs from the gr55 for synth sounds into axe input 2?

I plugin my guitar into the GR-55 using the 13-pin cable. The Guitar Out on the back of the GR-55 goes into the front guitar input of the Axe & the 2 outputs of the GR-55 go into Input 2 Left & Right on the back of the Axe. You add an FX Loop return to your patches to get the GR-55 synth sounds into the Axe. I use a Mixer block at the end of my Axe patches to control the levels. Then you setup your GR-55 patches to send the real guitar pickups and/or and modeled pickup sounds out the Guitar Out jack of the GR-55 (into the Axe).

It's a great setup. Let's you play your guitar's pickups straight into the Axe like normal or play modeled pickups into the Axe like normal and then play synth sounds out of the GR through the Axe.

Axe- FX II Controlling the GR-55 via MIDI

How do I get my Axe-Fx II to control my Gr-55 via Midi commands to change patches as easily as possible?

Last edited:
I plugin my guitar into the GR-55 using the 13-pin cable. The Guitar Out on the back of the GR-55 goes into the front guitar input of the Axe & the 2 outputs of the GR-55 go into Input 2 Left & Right on the back of the Axe. You add an FX Loop return to your patches to get the GR-55 synth sounds into the Axe. I use a Mixer block at the end of my Axe patches to control the levels. Then you setup your GR-55 patches to send the real guitar pickups and/or and modeled pickup sounds out the Guitar Out jack of the GR-55 (into the Axe).

It's a great setup. Let's you play your guitar's pickups straight into the Axe like normal or play modeled pickups into the Axe like normal and then play synth sounds out of the GR through the Axe.

I do the same thing, but I have the GR-20.

The only thing I don't like now, is I have my Matrix CFR's coming out of the AXE Output 2 (L and R).
Since the change was made for Copy/Echo Output 1 to Output 2, by having the FX block there, renders no sound.
Hopefully there is a fix for that, or I just haven't had my own "epiphany" yet :)

I do it exactly this way thanks to forum research. Very flexible.

MM

I do the same thing, but I have the GR-20.

The only thing I don't like now, is I have my Matrix CFR's coming out of the AXE Output 2 (L and R).
Since the change was made for Copy/Echo Output 1 to Output 2, by having the FX block there, renders no sound.
Hopefully there is a fix for that, or I just haven't had my own "epiphany" yet :)

You're kind of stuck that way now that the FXL block has been "fixed." I was running it the same way with the Out 2 going to FOH and Out 1 going to my back line. You can do it sort of by running the guitar out to the left side of Input 1 and the Synth mono to the right with input 1 set to "Stereo." Then, you put volume blocks in the first column of two independent signal chains and set them to only allow one side to pass. That sort of works, but the Synth is mono. And, there is no FXL.

So, how many of you guys are running a subsonic filter in front of the GR-55? I found it really improves tracking.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom