AXE + REAL CAB, Mono or Stereo?

Hi there.

I wanted to learn a few things. I have Axe Fx 2 XL + Furman power conditioner + matrix gt1000fx 1U + Port City Cab OS 2X12 and if I'm not mistaken I think it has WGS ET-90 and a veteran 30. (Any one who knows Daniel from Port City probably is familiar with what he recommended.)

1) I want to know the correct way to set this to mono. If set to mono, does that mean it requires only one speaker cable plugged into the mono input of the cab, or do I use both speaker cables to engage both speakers and just set it mono in the axe fx? My problem though I've come across if I do the single speaker cable is that it sounds like only one speaker is engaged because the tones don't sound quite as good or full.

2) When I set to stereo however, the tones so so much better but I want to know if I'm allocating the correct amount of power. My gripe with this gear is that in a band mix on stage, sometimes I feel like the axe doesn't cut through unless I have it FOH. But to me it seems so silly considering it is a big piece of gear and yet sometimes it sounds buried while rehearsing or on stage. I hate relying on stage monitors sometimes.

So the reason why I want to know the correct approach is because I had a situation one time when I had my gear set in stereo and the matrix crapped out on me. It was kinda scary because the fans were speeding up and the a few sparks flickered inside. You could smell something burning. Of course I had it fixed and I hadn't had this problem again but just need to take better precautions.

Below are some pics of how I set it now (Stereo) after listening to this guy from G66 or whatever youtube channel it is that helps with Axe Fx questions.

So I want to know if it's safe to go anywhere near 12 o clock if need be to cut through especially in a rehearsal or a stage with no monitors. Thank you for feedback in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0498.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 19
1) I want to know the correct way to set this to mono. If set to mono, does that mean it requires only one speaker cable plugged into the mono input of the cab, or do I use both speaker cables to engage both speakers and just set it mono in the axe fx? My problem though I've come across if I do the single speaker cable is that it sounds like only one speaker is engaged because the tones don't sound quite as good or full.

This is correct! If the cab is setup for stereo operation the jack plate will have a mono side that will energize both speakers using one input, using both inputs will isolate both speakers and give you a left and a right side.

If you're going to operate in stereo I would make sure the Axe FX is setup in stereo as well. If you're running in mono I would use the Summing option in the setup menu in the Axe.

2) When I set to stereo however, the tones so so much better but I want to know if I'm allocating the correct amount of power. My gripe with this gear is that in a band mix on stage, sometimes I feel like the axe doesn't cut through unless I have it FOH. But to me it seems so silly considering it is a big piece of gear and yet sometimes it sounds buried while rehearsing or on stage. I hate relying on stage monitors sometimes.

If your tone sounds buried in the stage mix it could be a few things.

Did you build your presets at gig volume? Do you have any mid range dialed in the amp? Are the speaker cables polarized the correct way? + to + - to - if these are done incorrectly you will have an out of phase condition and produce a very thin sound. An inexpensive VOM can be used to ring out polarity and is a very simple procedure.

Guitar speakers cabs are pretty directional so if it's sitting on the floor in a horizontal position most of the energy is kicking you in the shins! Maybe tilt it back a little.

This is why an FRFR cab has an advantage over a traditional guitar cab there is a much broader range of coverage without the effects of comb filtering to boot!.

So I want to know if it's safe to go anywhere near 12 o clock if need be to cut through especially in a rehearsal or a stage with no monitors. Thank you for feedback in advance.

Again I would look at EQ before you turn it up! make sure that your presets are built at the volume you are planning on rehearsing at, also look at cab placement it might be a case of you not getting enough of you.

If this is not the case Matrix has a section in their manual that walks you through the process of gain staging the amp and how much wattage to expect with respect to the light meters on the front of the power amp.

Last edited:
This is correct! If the cab is setup for stereo operation the jack plate will have a mono side that will energize both speakers using one input, using both inputs will isolate both speakers and give you a left and a right side.

If you're going to operate in stereo I would make sure the Axe FX is setup in stereo as well. If you're running in mono I would use the Summing option in the setup menu in the Axe.

If your tone sounds buried in the stage mix it could be a few things.

Did you build your presets at gig volume? Do you have any mid range dialed in the amp? Are the speaker cables polarized the correct way? + to + - to - if these are done incorrectly you will have an out of phase condition and produce a very thin sound. An inexpensive VOM can be used to ring out polarity and is a very simple procedure.

Guitar speakers cabs are pretty directional so if it's sitting on the floor in a horizontal position most of the energy is kicking you in the shins! Maybe tilt it back a little.

This is why an FRFR cab has an advantage over a traditional guitar cab there is a much broader range of coverage with the effects of comb filtering to boot!.

Again I would look at EQ before you turn it up! make sure that your presets are built at the volume you are planning on rehearsing at, also look at cab placement it might be a case of you not getting enough of you.

If this is not the case Matrix has a section in their manual that walks you through the process of gain staging the amp and how much wattage to expect with respect to the light meters on the front of the power amp.

So in regards to the speaker cables. What I usually have is one cable connected channel A from matrix to mono input of cab and then the other cable connected from channel B to the other 8 ohms in put which would make it stereo I guess?

Then from Axe fx I have L going to input A of matrix and then R going to input B of Matrix. Is that correct?

And then in regards to gain staging in the axe fx, I usually keep the VU meters somewhat close to that "line" that suggests a general balance in volume. I have some scenes going slightly over it if I have a filter block engaged for boost.

I will also adjust accordingly in the stereo/mono setting within the axe fx

Again providing the cab is a stereo cab then yes, the way you are connecting left and right from the Matrix to the cab is correct!

Left and Right out from Axe FX to channels A & B on the Matrix is correct as well.

The only thing left to do is set your volume to the level you are going to gig at and check your presets to make sure they sound correct then EQ accordingly this is best done with your band mates extra sets of ears are always good!

Back
Top Bottom