Axe + Poweramp + CAB (real)

MPZ

Have a Axe Std to poweramp Art SLA2 and real cab Marshall JCM800 Lead 4x12 (in mono).
I do not get good sounds with Metal with this configuration.
Can anyone give me some good advice?

My axe configuration is:

GLOBAL
  • Power Amp: ON
  • Cabinet: Active (use in some clean preset)
  • Default Tones TK: Active
  • Spill Over: OFF
  • EQ Out 1 & Out 2: all at zero (no config)
  • Mix Reverb and Effects: 0%
I/O
  • Input: Analog Front
  • Input 1: Left Only
  • Input 2: Left Only
  • Out 1 mode: Stereo
  • Phases: Normal
  • Copy Out1 Out2: On

Attached my 2 "all in one" presets
View attachment Metal SOLO Harm Wah-MPP.syx
View attachment Dist Metal 2 - MPP.syx

A lot of tests and cannot good metal sound.
Someone that have a similar rig have some presets?
Question: FOH is guitar cab + poweramp?

Leave the PA sim on with solid state power amps, if your just using cab sims for clean presets thats fine but I would leave them off for your distorted tones. What type of pickups are you using and what type of Metal tones are you going after?

Try using the global EQ, it helps a ton. Adjust the power amp sim on or off depending on how much your actual power amp colors the tone. I've noticed with most solid state power amps, it sounds best on. When I run it through my Mesa power amp, it sounds best off.

Leave the PA sim on with solid state power amps, if your just using cab sims for clean presets thats fine but I would leave them off for your distorted tones. What type of pickups are you using and what type of Metal tones are you going after?
This setup I use to do Power Metal with the Jackson DKMG and EMG81 pickup.
With the ART SLA2 the amp sim must be ON (very tests).

Amp sims ON - Cab sims OFF.

Use the dynamics, Sag and definition controles to tighten/squish/define your tone as needed.

Keep the master around 3-4 for metal tones, turn the gain up with boost Or a drive pedal if needed.

The ART sounded congested in the mids to me and a little harsh in the highs when I used one - decrease the high cut/presence/bright cap value (not all - play with them) and possibly use the global EQ or a PARA EQ to get rid of the harshness. Increasing the Damp value can help open up the tone on the SLA, though the new definition control may do the job better - try both and see.

Try the slo 100 amp block without anything else in there. set everything to noon keep the drive to about noon as well. slowly adjust your mids till it sounds right to your ears. finally add your favorite drive block in front and that should just about do it. Dont use cab sims. Use Amp SIms You may want to add the noise gate as well since it will be high gain. There are a lot of tricks to further enhance this tone but this should get you started. if it sounds really bad make a recording and post here.

Back
Top Bottom