Axe PHONES out to audio?

df88

I am not too familiar with audio processes but wanted to convert the Axe's phones-out to audio. I am not that good at processing audio in recordings and was wondering if the amplified signal received through headphones can be recorded/processed directly to an audio file of equal/similiar quality.

Basically I want to take a low volume recording which is no where near clipping, amplify the signal (by changing the output1 level), and convert that to the new audio file. I wish the new track to be as if I were hearing it through the Axe's headphones when listening through my computer's audio driver. I dont know if this is possible and I dont know sheet about audio so any advice or "no that's ridiculous or wont work" is appreciated.

[Edit] Ive tried amplifying audio using Audacity and such but certain parts of the track are sctrachty while not clipping. I dont know why that is so. The Axe does not do this through headphones when I increase the volume. I think it may actually have something to do with this Bose audio setting built into my computer's audio driver (sounds nice though).

I am aware that better recording techniques will increase the overall audio level but if simply boosting the audio with Axe is possible I would prefer it.

Last edited:
the headphone out doesn't have some sort of unlimited volume just because "The Axe does not do this through headphones when I increase the volume." that output is tailored for the range of volume that most headphones are made for.

you say "certain parts of the track are sctrachty while not clipping" - what makes you say they aren't clipping? clipping where?

can you elaborate on why you want to make low volume recordings and then amplify it?

what recording program or hardware are you using to record? i think you are confusing input gain (to your recorder) and the concept of "volume." you can still create a recording that clips even if what you hear is quiet (or even on mute).

the headphone out doesn't have some sort of unlimited volume just because "The Axe does not do this through headphones when I increase the volume." that output is tailored for the range of volume that most headphones are made for.

you say "certain parts of the track are sctrachty while not clipping" - what makes you say they aren't clipping? clipping where?

can you elaborate on why you want to make low volume recordings and then amplify it?

what recording program or hardware are you using to record? i think you are confusing input gain (to your recorder) and the concept of "volume." you can still create a recording that clips even if what you hear is quiet (or even on mute).

I say scratchy because Ill take the audio file and play it without setting of a CLIP indicator....after paying attention to this I think I may have found something out however. It seems that while I played the actual DAW it does not have the "scratchy" effect until after I convert the file. I know it converts it to a lesser sample rate so maybe that has something to do with it. Im not sure.

Im simply trying to higher the overall volume of a track.

If im not confused: My input gains are adjusted to be set -1 to -3 dB but I still get problems reaching sufficient volume (I know thats relative but it is too quiet). Just thinking of my situation I think I may have skipped over checking the input gain for some lead guitar since that seems to be where the "scratchiness" occurs if it is not a file converting problem and is rather actually clipping.

Thanks

EDIT: Scratch that speculation. It seems whenever I play through my windows audio driver (with Bose settings) it does this clipping. I took the converted file and threw it back into the DAW; it did not have the "scratchiness". I need to adjust the input gain further from clipping threshold to accommodate this.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom