Axe Marshally/Crunchy Amp + Ownhammer test....

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
Found an IR mix I like, so I ran through my fav Marshally/crunchy amp models to see what I liked best. Not sure where I am on the amp choice yet but this definitely goes to show how much the IR plays into your tone...as it makes all the amps sound very similar. Granted, they are all from mostly the same vein of amplifier, but I feel like this shows that the IR/speaker choice is the #1 ingredient in tone, period.

Also, I didn't tweak each amp...I kept the same settings across the board, unless it was an amp that had high cut instead of presence or something like that. Also, a couple of the amps were pretty bright with the presence setting I usually use, so I backed those down a bit. This was just a general comparison/test...not gig or recording ready tones. (even though I think almost all of them sound pretty dang good as is)

Thanks for listening, please feel free to comment. Also, please forgive the sloppy playing....just a simple little riff to show the amp/ir tone, not showcase my abilities, lol.

Amp used (in no order): Marshall 1987x Jumpered, Marshall JCM800, Marshall 50w Jumpered Plexi, Friedman Brown Eye, Budda Buttery, Comet 60, Comet Concourse, Diezel VH4 CH3, Friedman Dirty Shirley, FAS Big Hair, Fas Crunch, Trainwreck Liverpool, Friedman Hairy Brown Eye, Splawn Quickrod 2nd Gear, Soldano SLO, Carol-Ann Triptik Classic, Bogner Ecstasy Red.

IR used was a stereo cab with the Ownhammer Vintage 4x12 g65 T1 Live Vintage and the T1 T75 Live Vintage.

Feel free to comment on which you preferred, will add the order of the amps later.

Last edited:
I like a lot of them, but it's hard to really tell without mix context. It will be interesting to know which is which.

Even though I know the order, some still jump out at me after having used them for so long...most notably the Friedmans.

Clips #2, #4, and #8 were my favorites. (#4 was slightly lower in volume but, with a volume adjustment to even things out, it sounds fantastic!)

I think the amps in clips #15 and #18 would work really well together for double tracking. There's a nice contrast between them.

Clips #2, #4, and #8 were my favorites. (#4 was slightly lower in volume but, with a volume adjustment to even things out, it sounds fantastic!)

I think the amps in clips #15 and #18 would work really well together for double tracking. There's a nice contrast between them.

yeah, I just tried to get them close...I knew a couple were a little louder but didn't think it was a big enough issue to fix. If it were a scientific comparison I'd have worried more about it.

I am VERY happy with the IR combo, though....replaces the TV mix for me. As much as I love that IR there was always something about that bugged me, a bit congested in some freq.'s, for lack of a better term. This has solved it. I also like the HB 55 with the g65 but the T75's seem to add a little more oomph.

Cool to see a couple of my fav amps for those types of tones have been favorited. Maybe I'll record a few comparison clips between those amps and the ir mix I like vs the TV mix to highlight the differences I hear.

They are subtle, but def there.

I'll post later this afternoon, want to see if anyone else weighs in. Thanks for the interest, really appreciate it.

#12 and #2 for me, they sound great.
several of the amps have a very congested bass sound, which I don't like...

Yeah, like I said, I didn't tweak each amp, left them at pretty much the same settings just to get an overall taste of the general characteristics. When building a finalized patch id def do some fine tuning.

Ok, here is the order...also added to the Soundcloud track:

1 - 1987x Jumpered
2 - 50w plexi Jumpered
3 - Friedman Brown Eye
4 - Budda Buttery
5 - Comet 60
6 - Comet Concourse
7 - Diezel VH4 Ch3
8 - Friedman Dirty Shirley
9 - FAS Big Hair
10 - FAS Crunch
11 - Friedman Hairy Brown Eye
12 - JCM 800
13 - Trainwreck Liverpool
14 -Splawn Quickrod 2nd Gear
15 - Soldano SLO
16 - Carol-Ann Triptik Classic
17 - Bogner XTC Red
18 - Matchless DC30 with BB Pre in front

The 50w Jumpered Plexi and Friedman Dirty Shirley are two of my favs for this tone, was cool to see most people liked those as well. JCM800 got a little love as well.

The 50w Jumpered Plexi and Friedman Dirty Shirley are two of my favs for this tone, was cool to see most people liked those as well. JCM800 got a little love as well.

Glad to know my ears are working well! :lol

Also, it's kind of funny how everyone raves about the BE and HBE amps, but nobody chose them in a blind test.

I know right? There are aspects of those amps I love, but there's something that never sits quite right for me. Now the Dirty Shirley is a different story. I think the stock preset drives people away from that amp because it's pretty dull and dark...but engage the bright switch and open up the presence a bit and it's a fantastic amp.

Back
Top Bottom