Axe into front of clean tube amp - anyone else?

SmartAxe

Everything sounds great into the front of my amp. :D Seriously, it's a great little amp (Mesa Express 212 combo) with a wonderful clean channel. I've been running pedals or MFX into it for years, all with good results. Tried the Axe into the return, and it's good for sure, but magic happened when I went into the amp's clean channel.

I disabled the power amp modeling and left the presence control at zero (which I understand is actually a cut when the power amp is disabled). This seems to be the key. I have a nice warm clean sound dialed in on the amp. Output 1 from the Axe goes to the front of the amp, output 1 level is at maximum. This seems like unity gain. No tone loss that I can detect. For the amp models, I bring the level down to at least -10 or more so that the bypassed level is the same.

Killer sounds using the JCM800 model. Goose it with a Tube Screamer for more gain or solo boost. Sounds and feels like a real amp. Maybe because half the rig is one. :D Also, using just the drive block on the Axe into the Mesa's clean channel is divine. Some really nice models in there, especially the Tube Drive or the Eternity. My pedal GAS is gone now. Well, maybe. I love pedals. :)

The really cool part is how low I can set the volume and still have a great tone from the amp. I'm getting all the feel of having an amp behind me with a virtually unlimited arsenal of gear going into it. Gotta love it.

Just wondering if anyone else was using their Axe this way, and if so, what tips you might have.

Thanks,
L.B.

I concur. I've done that with my TSL601 (JCM2000 1x12 combo w/clean, crunch & lead channels & fx loop) running the axefx output into the effects return on the amp. So, effectively using the axefx as a preamp into the marshall power amp... I like it a lot!

i use my axe fx this way but i don't use the amp or cab sims. i only use the drive blocks for overdrive/distortion and the effects blocks for effects. it sounds amazing going into the front end of my redplate blackloop combo. in fact, it's the most versatile, portable, and best sounding rig that i've ever owned!

jb70, thanks for the reminder: I don't use the cab sims in this setup. I'll use the amp sims (no cab sim) if I plug into the FX loop but makes some NICE cleans without it as well. If I plug into the clean channel I won't use the amp or cab sims. That said I usually just use my EV FRFRs but I'm also happy with this amp/axefx sound too.

You should try the amp sims, Bobby. Just make sure power amp is off and you might turn the bright switch off on the sim if it's too peaky. The drive pedals are great into the front, but wow...the amp sims too...or BOTH!

hmmm I remember reading how to disable the axefx power amp but forgot how, please tell me and I'll give it a try later. thanks

I have a Fender Deluxe Reverb and I was curious to plug the Axe into the clean channel,but I always thought it wasn't possible (Deluxe Reverb doesn't have effect loop)
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom