axe into effects return of a head

relic245

I mainly use my axe live. Up to now I've been using it into a marshall 8008 poweramp which I appreciate is not
regarded as the best match. To be honest I've been very happy with my tones, but just missing a bit of the thump that
you get from a valve power stage. I've just started to use it into the effects return of an old laney head i had sitting in the atic
and it sounds fantastic.

I know people say this isn't an ideal combination as the poweramp can color he sound but if it does then I like the colourization
its doing. I'm not looking to exactly model any particular amps just wanting to get good sounds. Just wondering how many others are using their
axe into a a head or comb in this way?

I run the AxeFX into the return of a Crate BV120H tube head. It sounds much more like a real amp to me than using a stereo solid state amp that I used before. The solid state amp didn't give that "in the chest" feeling that the tube amp gives. I guess the tube amp smooths out the tone too.

In my experience rack tube power amps work better with the Axe because they are more neutral and you can leave power amp sim on. With heads you should consider to switch power sim off because it might sound too muddy.

SimonSez said:
I run the AxeFX into the return of a Crate BV120H tube head. It sounds much more like a real amp to me than using a stereo solid state amp that I used before. The solid state amp didn't give that "in the chest" feeling that the tube amp gives. I guess the tube amp smooths out the tone too.

+1

I did it with the power amp of a Koch studiotone (FX return), but: doubling high and low frequencies of now 2 tube power amps (one real, one Axe sim) was to much. Getting real good and very easy to dial in tones when switching off power sim of the axe. Problem: all the low gain sims, living from their power amp sim (i.e Fenderish, JCM, AC30, Hi-watt,etc.) loses their authenticity.... so, i went to SS-amp .... bit more tweaking, but much more different sounds :)

Back
Top Bottom