Axe III SPDIF Setup - Beginner

I have Axe3: word clock INTERNAL, SPIDIF/AESselect spdif, spidf/aes out source Output1

Focusrite: Sample rate 48, sync source SPDIF

Use two SPDIF cables, in and Out

Had this like that since 2015, first with XL then with the III and never had a problem.

Good Luck!

I usually start the master unit first then the slave. Try turning units off and doing that.
Otherwise try switching Focusrite to master and Axe to slave.

Edit: Also try closing Focusrite control panel and re-opening it.

Last edited:
Finally got it to sync. I overlooked the Sample Rate in Logic Pro X. Though now the signal I get in logic appears as white noise. I'll pick this up again later. Thanks for the input y'all.

All your settings look correct so I would suggest double checking cable connections are correct and fully seated (and if necessary the cables themselves).
BTW you are using 75 Ohm coaxial cables right?
Good luck

Thanks @Zedhed , finally got it running. The last piece of the puzzle was the loopback setting in Focusrite Control. I can now capture audio into Logic from the Axe FX III via S/PDIF.

Edit: Yes, it is a 75 Ohm coax cable

Hey guys, not sure it this is the right place or thread but my "problem" could fit in here:
I connected my AxeIII to my PC via USB and connected OUT 1 L/R to my Steinberg MR816 Interface.
Now, everything ( like the audio from my PC) seems to get played over the OUT1 channels in mono!!!. When I disconnect them, no audio from PC and AXE.
When I disconnect the USB cable PC stereo is back and the AXE is present via OUT 1/2 but only in mono:(. In the I/O section all outputs are labeled stereo.
But I loose the USB connection for using Fractal Bot and AXE Edit of course.

What I want, though, is keeping my Steinberg interface as my sound interface, since other recording stuff is hooked up to it ( my mics).
And I want to be able to record my AXE ( I use Cubase 11 Pro), re-amping would be only a "nice-to-have".
Maybe connecting my AXE by SPIDF could be the solution. I experimented with the settings you discussed above here in this thread with no solution. That´s why I thought, I ask here:)

Last edited:
Hey guys, not sure it this is the right place or thread but my "problem" could fit in here:
I connected my AxeIII to my PC via USB and connected OUT 1 L/R to my Steinberg MR816 Interface.
Now, everything ( like the audio from my PC) seems to get played over the OUT1 channels in mono!!!. When I disconnect them, no audio from PC and AXE.
When I disconnect the USB cable PC stereo is back and the AXE is present via OUT 1/2 but only in mono:(. In the I/O section all outputs are labeled stereo.
But I loose the USB connection for using Fractal Bot and AXE Edit of course.

What I want, though, is keeping my Steinberg interface as my sound interface, since other recording stuff is hooked up to it ( my mics).
And I want to be able to record my AXE ( I use Cubase 11 Pro), re-amping would be only a "nice-to-have".
Maybe connecting my AXE by SPIDF could be the solution. I experimented with the settings you discussed above here in this thread with no solution. That´s why I thought, I ask here:)
Your computer and/or DAW is likely switching its output device to the AX3. Your AX3 is sending the stereo audio from your computer to its L/R OUT1, and your AX3 L/R outputs are connected to the Steinberg's inputs, but the Steinberg has no way of knowing that the two input signals are two halves of a stereo signal. For all it knows it could just be two different mics connected, and they're both panned center. You can hard pan them in the Steinberg control software (read the manual), which you should do if you plan to track + monitor the AX3 in stereo using analog I/O on both units. But more importantly, you should also set your computer's audio output device back to the Steinberg.

Personally I would just switch over to using SPDIF in and out to and from the AX3 and Steinberg, since they both have SPDIF I/O. It will free up 2 mic pres / line inputs, avoid an AD/DA conversion (not really important), avoid any level / gain staging / noise issues, etc. You can also reamp with this setup if you plug your guitar straight into the Steinberg, record that input on one track, route it to the SPDIF out, and on a different track record the SPIDIF coming back from the AX3. See setup #5 here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

Last edited:
Personally I would just switch over to using SPDIF in and out to and from the AX3 and Steinberg, since they both have SPDIF I/O. It will free up 2 mic pres / line inputs, avoid an AD/DA conversion (not really important), avoid any level / gain staging / noise issues, etc. You can also reamp with this setup if you plug your guitar straight into the Steinberg, record that input on one track, route it to the SPDIF out, and on a different track record the SPIDIF coming back from the AX3. See setup #5 here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/
Hi strabes, thanks for the answer!
I had to do some trial and error with the Steinberg but I finally made it.
I also checked out the link I stumbled over just a few minutes before your answer but it wasn´t quite effektiv.

NOW I´m running straight Spidf, everything´s in stereo. Next I have to check Cubase!

Ok, I followed the instruction of GlennO´s recording file, scenario 5 but re-amping won´t work. BUT anyway! Everything else works just fine!

Back
Top Bottom