Axe II with Voodoo Lab GCX

jbirke

I think I've set up my axe fx ii and gcx so that I can put pedals associated with my GCX loops into the signal chain. My setup is: Guitar-->axe fx --> axe fx send --> gcx loop 1-->Pedal 1--> gcx loop2 --> Pedal 2--> axe fx return --> axe fx output --> amp.

I am running a midi cable from Axe Fx "midi thru" to "pedal in" on the GCX.

Question: what's the best way to activate gcx loops with axe fx patches? Can I insert GCX loops into an axe fx patch, and if so, how?

Thanks!

Switch the GCX to BANK4 (the manual can walk you through this), and use the LEARN feature on the AXEFX2 to program the top buttons to change individual effects while the bottom buttons change patches, and the right buttons change banks (1-4, 5-8, 9-12, etc)

The manual can be found...http://www.voodoolab.com/manuals/gcx_manual.pdf

The default CC messages outgoing from the GCX are 80-87. Really frustrating that's wasn't obvious from the get-go for me.

What i've taken to doing is assigning 80-87 as Ext Controller 1, 2, 3, etc, per patch, so Im not stuck just controlling this or that for every patch I have. It's quite the controller, imo.

How do you use this learn function? Can it be found on manual? Ive got Switchblade GL and I was thinking about same purpose of using looper with effects that AXE cant pull.

If I recall correctly you highlight the controller you want to change on the axe and press enter, it'll say learn, then hit the button on the GCX you want it to learn.

Something like that anyway.

Good luck

Are you guys talking GCX here aswell? Or GCP (the Ground Control)?

There may be a misunderstanding here.

OP: Which MIDI controller do you use?

It sounds like Wizard is talking about the GCP... the infamous youtube vid walks how to teach the AxeII to learn to respond to the IA buttons on the GCP. What I'd like to be able to do is program a patch in the Axe II that incorporates one of my GCX Loops. For example, the patch would be: Comp-->Effects Loops--->Amp-->Cab-->Delay-->Reverb---> Out ... and, the Effects Loop would pick up the GCX Loop 2, which has my Big Muff. I am using a GCP foot controller and I'm looking into how to program a preset in the GCP to turn on both the Axe patch and a GCX Loop. There may be a way to do it like this... not sure though.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!

i know the GCX is a tiny midi controller...there is a different one that is the GCP thats huge. I have the TINY one. There was another guy named GCX that was a 1 space (i think?) audio patch bay type thing. I'm talkin about the tiny midi controller, floorboard style. Only has 10 buttons on it and 2 exp pedal ins, and a 7 pin midi cable connection.

Wizard, you wrote: "What i've taken to doing is assigning 80-87 as Ext Controller 1, 2, 3, etc, per patch, so Im not stuck just controlling this or that for every patch I have."... how do you do that in Axe Edit?

Thanks much for your help!

Alternatively, I should be able to create a preset on my Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro that simultaneously activates Axe II Patch 00 and GCX Loop 1 but your way sounds easier...

Thanks, again.

Back
Top Bottom