Axe-II, who's using what for a DAW interface?

I'm still using my old trusty RME FF800 which I bought ~8 years ago. It has never given me any problems at since I first got it and that is really commendable. It's connected through firewire to a Win7 x64 machine running Cubase 5. It's second best gear purchase I've done after the Axe. :)

Okay, are you running drums, keys, grooves in Reaper on which your playing and laying your tracks in real time in Reaper? Let me know. This is where it gets important for me to know.

All I've been doing is recording guitars direct via USB. I've recorded several tracks in one project without any issues - around 24 I think! This was only to record a layered rhythm sound with several different tones and soloing each set of 4 tracks (hard left, hard right, 80% left, 80% right) to compare back to back - This was before I worked out re-amping, which obviously would have been much easier!!

I haven't used a single plug-in so far - no drums, keys, effects of any kind. The only thing I have done is recorded rhythm tracks in real time over a Guitar Hero track (Drums, bass - guitars muted). That worked just fine.

Another RME FF800 user here. It's been about 5 years and it does everything I ask of it without any issues. I have the FF400 which I use for mobile situations and it is great as well. If I were to buy an interface today I would still go RME but would go with UCX for the flexibility. It is getting tougher to find laptops without firewire issues and so USB would be the way to go in a portable setup in my mind.

Okay, are you running drums, keys, grooves in Reaper on which your playing and laying your tracks in real time in Reaper? Let me know. This is where it gets important for me to know.

All I've been doing is recording guitars direct via USB. I've recorded several tracks in one project without any issues - around 24 I think! This was only to record a layered rhythm sound with several different tones and soloing each set of 4 tracks (hard left, hard right, 80% left, 80% right) to compare back to back - This was before I worked out re-amping, which obviously would have been much easier!!

I haven't used a single plug-in so far - no drums, keys, effects of any kind. The only thing I have done is recorded rhythm tracks in real time over a Guitar Hero track (Drums, bass - guitars muted). That worked just fine.
Thanks. Yes, this is what I wanted to know. I too can record my guitar via USB for the most part without any perceptible issues. It's when things start coming in from all angles that it gets a bit heavy and slow.

Cheers

Thanks. Yes, this is what I wanted to know. I too can record my guitar via USB for the most part without any perceptible issues. It's when things start coming in from all angles that it gets a bit heavy and slow.

Cheers

Yeah that's what I've read on a number of other threads. Am I right in saying that this is more of a problem for Mac users rather than Windows though??

It depends on what you're using as a interface and what you're trying to do. With the metric halo stuff everything comes through the front end of the MH box. Since you're monitoring through the front end there's no latency. I record myself and a full band - 9 tracks drums, 1-3 tracks bass, three guitar, 2-3 piano, maybe a horn or two, or vocal. Live it's no problem, unless I'm monitoring from the DAW. Like if in using a piano virtual instrument. Then u have to set the buffer to 256 or lower. The piano player might feel a tiny lag but normally he doesn't. The band and piano line up perfectly.

If I'm playing over pre-recorded DAW there no problem and no latency. The signal is coming into MH from the DAW. No latency.

Last edited:
I'm using Cubase 7, but I use the headphone out of the Axe so I don't hear any lag and it records perfectly. Usb strait into the motherboard.

Whoops just saw your follow up post

This is my recording setup too. I love it. Simple, but works like a charm. The only issue I have is that I like to record with the output around 2 o'clock which can hurt the ears after awhile. A simple mixer would fix this but Im lazy lol.

It depends on what you're using as a interface and what you're trying to do. With the metric halo stuff everything comes through the front end of the MH box. Since you're monitoring through the front end there's no latency. I record myself and a full band - 9 tracks drums, 1-3 tracks bass, three guitar, 2-3 piano, maybe a horn or two, or vocal. Live it's no problem, unless I'm monitoring from the DAW. Like if in using a piano virtual instrument. Then u have to set the buffer to 256 or lower. The piano player might feel a tiny lag but normally he doesn't. The band and piano line up perfectly.

If I'm playing over pre-recorded DAW there no problem and no latency. The signal is coming into MH from the DAW. No latency.

I liked this explanation - thank you.
Looking more seriously at dropping the coin on a better interface due to the responses here.

I have the Axe-FX II connected via USB and a MOTU 828 MK3 connected via firewire. I also have the Axe-FX routed to the analog 1 & 2 and S/PDIF inputs of the MOTU. This provides a lot of options but usually I monitor analog 1 & 2 and record direct and DI via the Axe-FX's USB. If I'm not recording a DI sometimes I record off of the S/PDIF. When reamping I monitor the DAW output and reamped signal from the MOTU so I can tweak the tone in the mix. No monitoring latency with this set-up. My DAW is Digital Performer 8.

I'd like to upgrade to the UAD Apollo. I'm jealous of the guy who has it. If I were recording multiple inputs I might consider a firewire mixer from Mackie or Presonus, etc.

Back
Top Bottom