Axe II. This is killing me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once owned a Rocktron Voodu Valve, great preamp/processor. When the new Rocktron Prophesy came out, I had to have it. Sold the Voodu and bought the Prophesey, and although the Prophesy had more processing power, and improved algorithyms, it didn't have the same direct-ness to it, and I wished I had kept the Voodu. Long story short, just because it's new and improved, doesn't always mean you'll like it more. Keeping my Standard, and it's not bothering me in the least.

Yeah, when I was on the Axe waiting list years ago, I picked up a Voodu Valve and a Mesa 20/20. It sounded pretty good and was okay with it at the time.

When the Standard showed up, side by side it was just no comparison.

Ron

Now I'm just ill. After reading the manual, I'm even more impressed than I was.

This is a killer unit...coming out at the total wrong time for me.

R

Well, I'm not ill but I am impressed. I figure I'll give it a year or two and let Scott, Jay, Mark, Yek and everyone else learn how to really use this thing, then I'll jump in. All the new features are pretty cool but there isn't one feature that I have to have. The new modeling is definitely cool and I would love to have it but the first gen units fill my needs. Besides, in a while people will be dumping the II for whatever is the next AxeFX killer. :D

Dude, if you work in IT and don't have $2K of disposable income, you need to look into changing jobs or learn some fiscal discipline. Cancel cable. Stop going to starbucks. Bring your own lunch to work. That's $400/mo right there.

I've had a tough time getting the $ together also, had to change some plans but I know I would have eventually gotten the axe 2 anyways so better now than later. I can tell you that even if you wait a year it will be a similar situation thats just life. So why not reward yourself for all the things a person has to work through? but then again I don't have to live with your wife. :) ...... Donnie

Dude, if you work in IT and don't have $2K of disposable income, you need to look into changing jobs or learn some fiscal discipline. Cancel cable. Stop going to starbucks. Bring your own lunch to work. That's $400/mo right there.
Ouch! Does killing off children to reduce overhead count as fiscal discipline? Or maybe turning away someone (*hint* VERY close to the family) who needs a roof over their head, thus skipping the cost of converting unfinished basement into a room for them? What else might be going on that you're not thinking about?

We get your point, buy you gotta expand your thinking here dude.

I just gave a quick look and i'm wondering why the speaker drive is on the same tab than the master volume p52.(amp's block)
It's a new speaker drive algorithm?

I just gave a quick look and i'm wondering why the speaker drive is on the same tab than the master volume p52.(amp's block)
It's a new speaker drive algorithm?
It's been moved from the cab block to the amp block and Cliff said it's a new algorithm.

I'm in a similar predicament. I have more than enough cash on hand to buy it outright, but there are more pressing reasons to save right now. We're getting ready to move to a new town and new job and although I don't have true income uncertainty (already have the job and I'm an Army retiree so I have two other income streams from that), we're going to take a hit from the IRS for selling early (tax credit for new home buyers) as well as having to pay the realtor, etc.

Also, I can't even remotely say that I have raised my game to the level that the Ultra is holding me back. All I have to do is watch some Pete Thorn or Mark Day videos with the Ultra and know that I still have much room for improvement. I'm looking at adding the II in a few years after we have moved into a new home and established what our ongoing cost of living will be.

Did you READ the initial post? I have the money, but I can't AFFORD it. House renovations, new car, to say nothing of wife issues. It would be irresponsible of me to drop another 2k +. I have very little right to complain here I will admit. I do have a good job, and paying bills is not an issue *really*.

I WILL be able to get one in the future, but as these things go, but it looks like far future, rather than near.

Yes, I'm whining. Let me have my moment.

-Sobbing into my huge pillow...(name the movie)
Ron

Did you READ the initial post? I have the money, but I can't AFFORD it. House renovations, new car, to say nothing of wife issues. It would be irresponsible of me to drop another 2k +. I have very little right to complain here I will admit. I do have a good job, and paying bills is not an issue *really*.

I WILL be able to get one in the future, but as these things go, but it looks like far future, rather than near.

Ron

your sobbing head looks like an orange on a toothpick...

Ron

My situation is similar. We have no long term debt besides a mortgage. We have a high income and invest and save unlike our neighborhood peers many of whom live above there means... I've made about ~$15K just from the stock market alone this year, for example, that's not my retirement account, it's completely liquid. I could easily divert $2.2K of that right now to an Axe2 with zero change to our financial situation but it would be a marital issue especially since I just dropped $2K into the music money sink for the Ultra just a few months ago after selling it to her for months verbally. Even if I flipped the Ultra for $1500 and only spent an additional $700 it doesn't matter, I've flipped too much gear. The sight of UPS trucks make her angry, it's like Pavlov's dog. Conditioning has set in. I will probably have to wait at least two to three years to even consider an Axe 2 because of my past gear flipping sins and the sales job I did to get the Axe1.

The problem is the principle, not the money.

The initial shock/pain of the announcement has worn off and as I listen to Axe2 clips and play my existing unit; I remember it still sounds awesome and that I have no genuine need for a new unit; so the GAS is at least starting to level off which is good. But, honestly, the OCD neophile in me who wants to have the "best" is just going to be forever tortured by this thing. I was on the cutting edge for about five months.

So... I completely understand your situation and empathize, electronpirate.

Last edited:
That's what happens when you let your woman decide anything at all in the family. Pretty soon you can't buy bare essentials like guitars, amps, and effects processing.

Me? I buy whatever I please. She knows my hobbies are important to me, and unlike the crap she buys, the crap I buy oftentimes sells for more than I paid for it. I remind her of that often. That having been said, I don't need the II. I may go for the III when it comes out. I figure it should be out in a couple of years.

That's what happens when you let your woman decide anything at all in the family. Pretty soon you can't buy bare essentials like guitars, amps, and effects processing.

Me? I buy whatever I please. She knows my hobbies are important to me, and unlike the crap she buys, the crap I buy oftentimes sells for more than I paid for it. I remind her of that often. That having been said, I don't need the II. I may go for the III when it comes out. I figure it should be out in a couple of years.

I hope you're joking, because this is the most idiotic thing I've heard in years. 'That's what happens when you let your woman decide anything at all in the family?' How many marriages have you had? I'm guessing 3.

My wife makes almost 95% of what I make, and she's more focused and ambitious than most people I know. (We don't make chump change...) For a man who was raised by a mother after my father died when I was 5, you have either incredible ignorance, or phenomenal insensitivity. If it was a joke, it fell flat.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom