Axe-II Sighting- The Edge of U2....

"Runnin' To The Men's Roooooooooom"

a bit off topic,but times sure have changed.i was a young teen when U2 first hit the scene.i enjoyed their music alot,but back then if you nailed the Edge's tone and someone said "wow,you sound just like the Edge!"it was akin to telling a bassplayer "Wow,your almost as good as Michael Anthony".;)

LMAO!

I know what you mean, but I guess as you get older (wiser?) you realize that there are great technical players who can "wow" people with there "n.p.s.-proclamations" ("...notes-per-second"), and then there are players who innovate and/or write great music (with the guitar as their creative instrument of choice) and these guys are NOT often the best "technical-players" if you know what I mean. I think The Edge from U2, and to some extent, Andy Summers from The Police and Steve Stevens from Billy Idol's band (although the latter two are probably more accomplished musicians in a variety of styles/genres. Come to think of it, Steve Steven is VERY underrated if you think about it!) I'd also say that classic-rockers such as Jimmy Page from Led Zeppelin and Neil Young were both much more accomplished songwriters/producers than they were "technically impressive and articulate" guitarists!) BTW, I'm a HUGE Led Zeppelin AND Neil Young fan, so NO, I'm NOT hating on these guys. I think they're BOTH musical/creative geniuses...Seriously! More recently, guys like Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead or Jack White from The White Stripes (IMO) would fall into that category of innovative-players who use their instruments as a means to create great music, but not necessarily to impress other guitarists - LOL! Anyways, I don't want to hi-jack this thread or anything, but I always try to be careful (especially when I'm teaching young impressionable guitar-students) to NOT be too critical of a guitarist who I might NOT like very much, because that guitarist/musician might be my student's favorite, and "who the hell am I" to dash my student's dreams, right?!? - LOL! Anyways, I digress...

I'll admit, I wasn't a big U2 fan growing up (in the U.S.A.) and I'm still not a big fan, but I have gained a lot of respect for those guys and their longevity AND their ability (through clever selection of producers IMO) to remain "relevant/current" for SO LONG! That's impressive! I also acknowledge The Edge to be a pioneer of creative use of effects (delays in particular of course) to the point where his effects usage has actually taken on a life of it's own (as if it's a "style-within-a-style!")

P.S. I saw Van Halen nine (9) times. Did anyone ever notice how long the lines were to the men's room when Michael Anthony did his obligatory "Jack Daniels Bass" Solo. Solid-player, great feel, awesome backup-vocals,....but good reason to "go-take-a-whiz" when you see that "J.D.-Bass" come out - LOL! ;) Just sayin...:)

Bill

Back
Top Bottom