Axe II questions

Ok so my axe II cant be here soon enough but I have a few questions.

Can I run my guitar into the front input and then run an MP3 player into input 2 and run 2 seperate chains where the mp3 player gets a slight midscoop and the other chain is your normal signal chain. Is this feesible or should I do this another way?

And if I make my presets by headphones (sennhieser HD205s) how well will they translate over into a PA system?

MP3 player into input 2 should work. You can also connect the Axe-Fx to your computer via USB and have the computer play the files.

Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to create presets by headphones. They lack spatial hearing, there's no sound feeding back from speakers into guitar and the tonal balance will be off due to volume difference. The human ear perceives sound differently (the sensitivity to different frequencies changes with the volume level) depending on how loud the sound is.

Ok then, that about the headphones makes some sense I guess.

So I guess the next question is what is the best bang for your buck Powered PA wedge?

The alot TSA 112 and 115s seem to getting alot of praise over at SS.org but what is the opinion here?

Well theres no good proaudio areas near me. My nearest music stores are L&M which only carry yorkville sound products.

Im like maybe 30mins outside toronto so Ill probably drive down to buffalo to a GC to pickout a powered wedge.

Well theres no good proaudio areas near me. My nearest music stores are L&M which only carry yorkville sound products.

Im like maybe 30mins outside toronto so Ill probably drive down to buffalo to a GC to pickout a powered wedge.

Take some kind of music player with you and a recording (CD or any lossless audio file) you know well to judge the freq. response of the wedge.
If it sounds strange ("holes" or overly loud parts in the "sonic picture") you may test another one.

I have an Atomic powered full range cabinet that works nicely, a lot of people here have them. They can also be had in a wedge version. Both Atomic and another respected company amongst Axe Fx users, Matrix Amplification, are coming out with new powered and unpowered full range speakers specifically targeted at the guitarist using a system like the Axe Fx. It's a good time for you to be shopping because options are increasing!

In powered wedges, I have used my JBL Eon 15G2 with decent results (a little trebly for my tastes), others here have used the QSC K-12 with good results. I imagine the Mackie SRM-450s should also sound good but I haven't head them in that application. As a reference for you, one of the beta testers advised that Fractal was using a Matrix amp and a JBL SRX700 cabinet to test presets. That's a full size PA cab, so I assume any quality, accurate reproduction speaker will get you going. I have a set of SRX722s that I am sorely tempted to set up at the next gig just to scare my band!

Back
Top Bottom