Axe II midi thru and Ethernet not playing nice???? Help!!!

jlbaxe

When I add midi thru on the Axe II Ver 6.0 and have the MFC101 in use with the Ethernet cat45 cable the MFC starts flashing and won't switch presets.

I want to run the Midi "Thru" so when I switch a preset on the Axe II it sends that info to my RJM Mini Amp Switcher and Egnater Amp Head switcher. What am I doing wrong? Is this not possible?

Just a few basic questions: Have you updated the MFC-101 with the latest firmware? How do you connect the AXE II to the "RJM Mini Amp Switcher and Egnater Amp Head switcher"?

Yep everything is up to date. MFC101 >cat5>Axe II. Midi Out/Thru to Egnater SS4 > out/thru to RJM Mini amp Switcher. It works if I unplug the MFC101. If I turn midi to omni from ch1 and or turn Out/Thru to on, it screws with my MFC101 and causes both Axe and MFC to flicker and flash then won't let me change presets or correct the issue with the I/O button. I have to unplug the MFC101 to correct the issue then plug the cat5 cable back in.

I can't find info on wiki or the manual on what to turn on or off so it works. A picture on Wiki shows the Axe II with cat5 MFC101 using Midi Out/Thru from the back of the Axe 2 to a processor and USB all hooked up at the same time. I am not using midi from the MFC to make that clear, only the back of the Axe.

Ok, It looks as though your set-up should work. Can't see what's wrong. Have you tried turning TotalSync OFF on MFC-101 (you nerver know)? Maybe the target devices are causing the problem. Could be worth trying to control another MIDI device or send the MIDI OUT/THRU to a PC/MAC and see what comes in.

There is definitely a conflict somewhere past the Axe Fx if it doesn't go out until the on/through is switched in. There are a lot of possible causes. I would start by working with one device connected at a time. This would at least eliminate some variables.

TotalSync is OFF on MFC-101 also tried it ON. Now I have my presets showing up on the Axe and MFC with the preset names scrambled up. Like the Wrecker shows wreccer and Slo100 Lead is SBDB100DEAD, USA lead = USA Dead. WTF? I Did a reset to Factory on the MFC101 didn't change anything. Held Recall on the Axe during power up and same thing. Had the midi out unplugged before the reset. turn the axe off and and back on after a few minutes and looks fixed and as soon as i use the dial to change presets it is fine until 3rd or 4th preset then everything is scrambled again.

There is definitely a conflict somewhere past the Axe Fx if it doesn't go out until the on/through is switched in. There are a lot of possible causes. I would start by working with one device connected at a time. This would at least eliminate some variables.

Yeah unhooked the midi and trying to get the Axe and MFC back to working order. Arrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! lol

Yeah unhooked the midi and trying to get the Axe and MFC back to working order. Arrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! lol

I feel for you, bro. That "ghost in the machine" midi stuff has long been a pet peeve of mine. Midi has been "working" for a long, long time but I won't miss it when it's replaced by something more reliable and transparent. All that said, I do like the generic interchangeability the format provides. Just seems like there would be a better way standardized by now!

I got the Axe II and MFC working again. Im going to try no midi plugged in when I switch Out/Thru on, Then I might try just the Eggy SS4 and see if that works then go from there. I have to say I have had refrigerator size racks with midi and not had anything as frustrating as this. I need the Axe to send a program change without the MFC pedal. Believe the pedal is what is doing the switching on the SS4 and Mini amp switcher not the AFX2.

have you tried using a standard MIDI from the MFC to your RJM? so the MFC is ethernet to the Axe and MIDI out to the RJM

to make the RJM work, the MFC must send on/off via MIDI to the right CC# values so that it'll switch

these are CC# 88 through CC# 95 for RJM switches 1 through 8 respectively

it don't look like these CC values can be changed in the RJM
so you need to look in the MFC manual to see if it is possible to send two different CC# values from the same IA switch
or...
send a CC# value whilst simultaneously changing preset..

I don't have the MFC manual to hand right now...
but I think this is thestudy / research direction you should head for..

EDIT: what I don't know is....
when the MFC sends MIDI to the Axe via ethernet, does this MIDI simultaneously leave the MIDI out of the MFC

you may also have a preset conflict...
I think the RJM can react to preset [program change] messages..
if this is the case, when you change preset for the Axe the RJM will change too..
so they'll most likely need to be on different MIDI channels
if the Axe is on 1, try the RJM on 2
I think what you're after is something like this..

you hit MFC: switch 1
this sends
- MIDI: PGM change on channel 1 to the Axe to call up preset 000
- MIDI: CC# 88 to the RJM on channel 2 to switch your amp channel [if RJM switch 1 is the one you're using]

you'd cable it:

Axe <- MIDI / ethernet -> MFC [channel 1]
MFC MIDI out -> RJM MIDI in [channel 2]

NOTE: I've never tried this so I'm just having a bit of a guess that could hopefully nudge you in the right direction

Last edited:
to make the RJM work, the MFC must send on/off via MIDI to the right CC# values so that it'll switch

these are CC# 88 through CC# 95 for RJM switches 1 through 8 respectively

it don't look like these CC values can be changed in the RJM
so you need to look in the MFC manual to see if it is possible to send two different CC# values from the same IA switch
or...
send a CC# value whilst simultaneously changing preset..

I don't have the MFC manual to hand right now...
but I think this is thestudy / research direction you should head for..

EDIT: what I don't know is....
when the MFC sends MIDI to the Axe via ethernet, does this MIDI simultaneously leave the MIDI out of the MFC

you may also have a preset conflict...
I think the RJM can react to preset [program change] messages..
if this is the case, when you change preset for the Axe the RJM will change too..
so they'll most likely need to be on different MIDI channels
if the Axe is on 1, try the RJM on 2
I think what you're after is something like this..

you hit MFC: switch 1
this sends
- MIDI: PGM change on channel 1 to the Axe to call up preset 000
- MIDI: CC# 88 to the RJM on channel 2 to switch your amp channel [if RJM switch 1 is the one you're using]

you'd cable it:

Axe <- MIDI / ethernet -> MFC [channel 1]
MFC MIDI out -> RJM MIDI in [channel 2]

NOTE: I've never tried this so I'm just having a bit of a guess that could hopefully nudge you in the right direction

Thanks I will give that a try when I get a chance, most likely over the weekend. You can hold the write button on the RJM so several buttons on the RJM are saved on one preset. Example: I use ch 1 with boost and reverb on my 20th A XTC so it would look like this (1,5,7) then push the write button for 3 seconds and it saves it to the channel my rack is on. I might call Ron and ask him, he is very helpful with his products. Everything else is working :)

Saturday morning I might sit with a cup of coffee and dive into the manuals on midi.

Back
Top Bottom