Axe II locking up after 16.1

I tried to reinstall the driver, to re-update FW several times, used a "RESET SYSTEM" function, something else, I guess.
Here's my test case that 100% works for me:
Preconditions:
- Original Axe Fx II with FW v16.01, all default presets.
- A laptop with Windows 7.
- Axe Fx USB Driver (2014.06.06 - Jun 6, 2014),
- FASUSBAudio Control Panel is not running.
- Axe-Edit for Windows 7, Vista or XP Version 3.1.0 - Aug 29, 2014

Steps to reproduce:
1. Turn on Axe and connect it to USB.
2. Open Axe-Edit
3. Select a preset #100 Solo 99 Lead
4. Select a preset #99 Studio Clean
5. Select a preset #100 Solo 99 Lead again
6. Wait a bit...
7. Axe freezes.

After reboot it also can freeze being disconnected from USB but not in 100% of cases.

UPD:
Just tried to connect Axe to my desktop computer, to ensure the problem remains.
This PC is working under Windows XP SP2.
I've just installed a driver and after a while Axe has freezed. Axe-Edit is not even installed.
A preset #100 was selected before I connected Axe to USB.

Last edited:
I'm running OS X 10.9.5, latest USB driver from Fractal web site, and Axe Edit 3.1.0. I often use Amazing Slow Downer 3.4.9 with Axe FX II as an audio interface when practicing. Since FW 16.x, I regularly experience lockups when Mac is connected via USB, whether or not audio is playing from Mac. To reproduce, just start everything up and wait 5-10 mins. On lockup reboot Axe and wait 5-10 mins for it to lock again.

I figured out that sending Midi Time Clock from my Logic X to the Axe causes the Axe to stop responding to Midi Messages after 1-2 minutes. Support said I should use CC14 instead but that's just a fix. The Axe should respond to Midi Timecode properly.

I figured out that sending Midi Time Clock from my Logic X to the Axe causes the Axe to stop responding to Midi Messages after 1-2 minutes. Support said I should use CC14 instead but that's just a fix. The Axe should respond to Midi Timecode properly.

Does it respond to front panel manipulations after MIDI has freezed?

Does it respond to front panel manipulations after MIDI has freezed?

Yes.

Update: I tested around and found out that the problem was that I had the AXE set as input interface in my Logic (in the audio set-up). Output was set to my audio interface and normally I have the input set to my audio interface as well. I changed back to my audio interface for input and now everythings just fine. I guess that sending Midi Clock to the AXE via USB and having the AXE as input interface for Logic causes some kind of a loop which makes the AXE stop responding.

I tried to reinstall the driver, to re-update FW several times, used a "RESET SYSTEM" function, something else, I guess.
Here's my test case that 100% works for me:
Preconditions:
- Original Axe Fx II with FW v16.01, all default presets.
- A laptop with Windows 7.
- Axe Fx USB Driver (2014.06.06 - Jun 6, 2014),
- FASUSBAudio Control Panel is not running.
- Axe-Edit for Windows 7, Vista or XP Version 3.1.0 - Aug 29, 2014

Steps to reproduce:
1. Turn on Axe and connect it to USB.
2. Open Axe-Edit
3. Select a preset #100 Solo 99 Lead
4. Select a preset #99 Studio Clean
5. Select a preset #100 Solo 99 Lead again
6. Wait a bit...
7. Axe freezes.

After reboot it also can freeze being disconnected from USB but not in 100% of cases.

UPD:
Just tried to connect Axe to my desktop computer, to ensure the problem remains.
This PC is working under Windows XP SP2.
I've just installed a driver and after a while Axe has freezed. Axe-Edit is not even installed.
A preset #100 was selected before I connected Axe to USB.

Confirmed as same symptoms on my Win7 laptop - factory preset 100 (Solo 99 Lead) is the bad one. First indication is the tempo light stops flashing (usually within 10 seconds)- then Axe locks up/crashes.

I tried resetting the amp block (with USB disconnected) but same problem afterwards when USB plugged in.

I did all the uninstall/re-install of drivers and software.

I also just froze for the second time after installing 16.01 I was running Sonar X1 DAW, recorded a track switched to a different preset ... played for a few seconds and then locked up, front panel buttons did nothing, had to turn off and on. Scared me to death because I am about to start using this live and I cant have this locking up on stage but hopefully its just because its hooked up to USB, glad I found this thread...

drive1987, I was able to reproduce the hang using your steps on my Mac OS X 10.9.5 with latest USB driver and latest Axe-Edit. No other programs were running on the Mac. I'm happy to help reproduce hangs if it helps Fractal support in getting us a fix. Meanwhile, I downgraded to f/w 15.7 and hangs are gone.

My unit just locked up again but this time without the DAW running, I was about to try a USB fix as suggested in another thread on the same topic but I think I should try downgrading to 15.07 as you suggested here first. Do I just use fractal bot and load 15.07 to downgrade or is there more?

Edit: I am running windows 7 on a fast water cooled Alienware desktop

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom