Axe II locking up after 16.1

After I installed 16.1 beta the Axe locks up and
I have to reboot.
It seems to happen when I'm scrolling through the grid.
It has happened in other situations but mostly when I'm
grid surfin'.

i assume you're talking about 16.00 Beta 1.

what firmware was on the axe before you installed it?

does it happen on the same preset or different presets?

what is the CPU load on the preset(s) it happens on?

Doesn't happen to other users so it's probably isolated to your setup.

Is it a particular preset? Does it have an user cab?

I am also experiencing lockups w/ v16 release, but only when my Mac is connected via USB. Axe FX II locks up after ~5 mins of play time when Mac is connected. No lockups without Mac attached. I just reinstalled the latest USB driver from Fractal. I did not experience these lockups prior to upgrade. I will downgrade to 15.x and try again to be sure recent Mac updates did not cause the lockups. Suggestions welcome.

I am also experiencing lockups w/ v16 release, but only when my Mac is connected via USB. Axe FX II locks up after ~5 mins of play time when Mac is connected. No lockups without Mac attached. I just reinstalled the latest USB driver from Fractal. I did not experience these lockups prior to upgrade. I will downgrade to 15.x and try again to be sure recent Mac updates did not cause the lockups. Suggestions welcome.
Have the same problem on Windows 7 so it's definitely not an OS issue.
Axe FX hangs at random when connected to USB.
I guess this issue is caused by the driver or Axe Edit, sending some "wrong" commands to device.
Also i've noticed that such hangs occur more quickly and more frequently if i load some presets created for previous FW versions.
Updated fom 15.02 to 16.01.

I actually had this happen a couple of times last night as well. In the span of about 45 minutes of use it did it 3 times total - twice with USB connected, once without. Reloaded FW 16.01 on it, but had other things to get to, so I couldn't test it out much after that. Hope this isn't a real issue, and that we're just each having some odd issue that is easily fixed. I don't see enough complaints on this forum about 16.01, so I doubt it's an actual firmware issue.

Oh so it freezes just with USB and no axe edit? Sorry if I missed that before.

Mostly it freezes in two cases: when I actively work in my DAW (the most frequent case) or when I load a preset created with an older FW version in Axe-Edit (but not immediately after load).

Also, even on V15 there are several oddities not causing the freeze but still annoying: with my DAW only runnig I sometimes get a message like "ASIO device properties have been changed by the device control panel. Please restart.".
Needless to say, FASUSB Audio Control Panel is not running at the time.

Last edited:
My guess is that both issues (the freeze and the error message) might be a reaction to some wrong MIDI-sequence sent to Axe or something like that.

Same issue on 16.01: Have my Axe II connected to my Mac using Logic as I sent Midi Program Changes and Control Changes to the Axe to select the presets and scenes automatically. After approx. 10-15 Midi PCs/CCs the Midi connection freezes. That means Axe is still running but does not accept any incoming Midi Messages - not from Logic but also Axe Edit isn't working any longer. Went back to 15.07 and every things just fine.

Back
Top Bottom