Axe II communication with MFC

phantasm

Greetings,

Today I received my MFC-101 to go with my Axe II. I have it hooked up through cat5 from the MFC port on the Axe II to the expansion port on the MFC. Port is set to expansion mode is set to AxeII. I think everything thing is working as intended except I had assumed that the MFC would update when presets were changed with the input knob on the AXE. I also thought that as I bypassed effects in the Axe the IA LEDs would update with the current state. I guess I assumed that everything would always be in sync. Could someone inform me as to what the capabilities are please? For a couple of hours I've read part of the manual and some forum posts but I'm still not sure what the capabilities are. Also, I seem to recall something about Axe Edit and the MFC working at the same time with the release of the Axe 2. I saw where someone had all of it working with midi cables. I'd prefer to use cat 5 for the one less wall wart. Thanks for any help!

MFC firmware: 1.04
Axe II firmware: 4.01

Greetings,

Today I received my MFC-101 to go with my Axe II. I have it hooked up through cat5 from the MFC port on the Axe II to the expansion port on the MFC. Port is set to expansion mode is set to AxeII. I think everything thing is working as intended except I had assumed that the MFC would update when presets were changed with the input knob on the AXE. I also thought that as I bypassed effects in the Axe the IA LEDs would update with the current state. I guess I assumed that everything would always be in sync. Could someone inform me as to what the capabilities are please? For a couple of hours I've read part of the manual and some forum posts but I'm still not sure what the capabilities are. Also, I seem to recall something about Axe Edit and the MFC working at the same time with the release of the Axe 2. I saw where someone had all of it working with midi cables. I'd prefer to use cat 5 for the one less wall wart. Thanks for any help!

MFC firmware: 1.04
Axe II firmware: 4.01

The MFC controls the Axe-FX II, but not the other way around. If you want to see *saved* changes reflected on the MFC-101, use the MFC to select a different patch and then return to the changed one.

Danny W.

Okay, 99% of the time I'm recording and scrolling through presets with the input knob. So if I start with the MFC on preset 5 and then want to get to 370 real quick I use the the knob. Then if I go up a bank(with bank size = 5) it will go to preset 10. It didn't even occur to me that the MFC wouldn't sync the parameter number when it is changed by the Axe FX. I assumed that the MFC would act like an extended display or slave to the Axe FX with the ability to inc and dec parameters, but it seems that the state of the Axe is loaded onto the MFC at startup and not really updated from the Axe during use. Is that a fair statement?

I'm guess should have thought out my usage scenario. I bought it because I'm used to having a footswitch with my amps and have the three state LEDs is awesome. I'm mostly planning on using it for turning effects on and off quickly and tap tempo. I think my problem is I have sorted out my 5-10 presets that I want to use. I'm always scrolling around. There is just so much to pick from. Once I get those presets picked I should be all set.

Thanks for the response!

The MFC controls the Axe-FX II, but not the other way around. If you want to see *saved* changes reflected on the MFC-101, use the MFC to select a different patch and then return to the changed one.

Danny W.

Yes, I experienced this as well. Most decent pedals I have seen, such as the Digitech GSP-2101 and pedal, will go both directions. IMHO, this is the ONE single thing this combo lacks. Otherwise, it's the best unit ever made.

I have a GSP-2101 but I never got the pedal for it. It's been laying around for years.
I can totally see the benefit to a performing musician and it's a great piece of gear. It just seems odd to me that the MFC would display a preset name that the Axe FX isn't set to. I totally get why it isn't necessary to update IA states from the Axe but it would be nice if everything worked together.

I don't play out but once every 18 months with friends(and it's not pretty) but I think my idea was to flip around on the input knob and use the MFC to turn effects on and off and tap tempo.

By "it would be nice if everything worked together" I mean just display the IA states and current preset names. It is clear everything is working as designed.

What I meant was:
It would be super awesome if the Axe, Axe Edit and the MFC all updated each other.

By "it would be nice if everything worked together" I mean just display the IA states and current preset names. It is clear everything is working as designed.

What I meant was:
It would be super awesome if the Axe, Axe Edit and the MFC all updated each other.

Double ditto!

Yes, I experienced this as well. Most decent pedals I have seen, such as the Digitech GSP-2101 and pedal, will go both directions. IMHO, this is the ONE single thing this combo lacks. Otherwise, it's the best unit ever made.

I had a Digitech GSP-2101 and Control One that worked in sync this way and it worked well. That unit first came on the market 15, maybe 16 years ago?

I had no idea the MFC and Axe wouldn't do this and it's something of a let down to find that it doesn't. I just got both the AXE II and MFC about a week ago and was going to take time this weekend to dig into using them together.

It seems like such a basic feature that I would hope that Fractal has some plan to get this to work.

I had a Digitech GSP-2101 and Control
It seems like such a basic feature that I would hope that Fractal has some plan to get this to work.

I was a little surprised as well - which is how I found this thread. I hooked my MFC up last night - and thought I must be doing something wrong since changes on the Axe were not reflected on the MFC. I'd even settle for an update operation - meaning - if the architecture doesn't allow real time communication of what's set on the Axe - then a manual send on the Axe or poll on the MFC via a button. Stomping through dozens of banks is tough. Probably less of an issues once the day comes that I have it set up for gigging (usually limit that to 2 or 3 banks) - but still - a nice to have feature.

This thread has answered my queries too
Does seem a fairly basic issue to fix
Ive been setting up my mission ep1 via mfc to axe2--when in axe edit the pedal does not reflect changes in assigned parameter values on the screen but the parameters do change though--ie wah wah or drive

I guess MFC-101 is in need of its own updates and to keep up with firmware updates.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom