Axe II And K12's Quick speaker cable question.

jethro

Inspired
I just got the K12's and I am amazed at how great they sound! I am using tip and sleeve speaker cables.Will it sound even better by using xlr or ring tip sleeve cables? Does it really make a difference? Thanks for any input.

As I understand it, the K12 is a powered speaker, so you don't use speaker cables with it. If you connect using a balanced signal (XLR or TRS) you get better immunity from noise and twice the signal level, but otherwise it will sound exactly the same.

With a balanced connection, you have the signal on one conductor and the inverted signal on the other conductor. At the far end the inverted signal is inverted back to normal and added to the first signal, giving you twice the voltage level and canceling out any common-mode noise.

With an unbalanced connection you just have the signal on one conductor.

Unless you have a problem picking up noise, which is more likely on long cable runs, the two are going to sound the same. Except of course for the +6 dB difference in levels, which means you will set the attenuator (volume control) on the speaker a little lower (higher volume).

Balanced cables (mic cables) are typically two conductors with a shield. Good unbalanced cables are also shielded, but you may run into some that are not.

So, if you're buying new cables for this, get regular XLR mic cables. If you already have TS cables, use those.

Back
Top Bottom