Axe-FXIII US Pre Clean preamp Presence control

joegold

Fractal Fanatic
I'm an Axe-FXII user still, but I'm starting to sus out switching to the III.
I stumbled upon a video today of a guy demoing the III's USA Pre models with visuals of Axe Edit III on the screen.
When he was working with the Triaxis LD2 models, there was the now familiar Bright control although it was renamed to Preamp Presence control.
But when he started working on the USA Pre Clean models, that control was absent and only the PA Presence control was there.

I then started scouring through the Axe III Wiki pages to find out what was up with that and I think I saw a post from Cliff saying that his reference models were older versions of the Triaxis where the Triaxis Version 2 board could no longer be made due to unavailability of parts and that these newer versions of the Triaxis had the Triaxis' "Presence" control as inactive on the Green and Yellow Clean modes as well as the LD1 modes.
And Cliff's same same comments are there in Axe II Wiki as well.

When I owned my Triaxis, that was not the case, but I had had it upgraded to Version 2 with the Phat Mod as well iirc.
Axe Edit II still has the Bright (virtual) knob on all the models (not just the USA Pre models).
When I try to dial in a clean tone with the USA Pre Clean model, I always expect that lowering the Bright control below noon will get me into the same zone as the real Triaxis' with its Presence control between 0 and 10.
Is this no longer 'correct' anymore, assuming I'm trying to cop the behaviour of a real Triaxis?

For my jazz-oriented clean tones, I'm a little bit finicky with the top end.
In fact, my main problem with the real Triaxis, for jazz, was that it had a hard-wired bright cap that couldn't really be defeated, which made it tricky to achieve the tones I was after.
I always liked that on the II's Triaxis models I could just turn the virtual bright cap off via the Bright Switch parameter.
Now, I don't even use that model at the moment for my jazz tones, so this is just educational for me.

So what's the deal on the III's (and the II's) implementation of this control compared to a real Triaxis on the USA Pre Clean model?

PS
Is there a way to set the USA Clean Pre model to go back and forth between the real Triaxis' Clean Green and Clean Yellow modes?
I'm assuming that Cliff modelled the Green mode rather than the Yellow for this model.

The presence knob on most amps is not part of the preamp but rather the power amp where it controls a low pass filter on the negative feedback loop from the output transformer secondary back to the power tubes. Being a preamp, the TriAxis does not have a power amp section with which to use, so that control operates filters in the preamp section instead.

The current Axe III models for the USA Pre models have both Preamp Presence and P.A. Presence controls. The former works like the one that's in the TriAxis itself (in the preamp section). The latter works like a normal presence control in the virtual power amp circuit that the model uses.

As for switching between the Green and Yellow modes, no there isn't a way. The USA Pre Clean model is the Rhythm Green mode. The Yellow mode is the Mark IV clean channel, so you can use the USA Rhythm 1 model for that.

The presence knob on most amps is not part of the preamp but rather the power amp where it controls a low pass filter on the negative feedback loop from the output transformer secondary back to the power tubes. Being a preamp, the TriAxis does not have a power amp section with which to use, so that control operates filters in the preamp section instead.

The current Axe III models for the USA Pre models have both Preamp Presence and P.A. Presence controls. The former works like the one that's in the TriAxis itself (in the preamp section). The latter works like a normal presence control in the virtual power amp circuit that the model uses.

As for switching between the Green and Yellow modes, no there isn't a way. The USA Pre Clean model is the Rhythm Green mode. The Yellow mode is the Mark IV clean channel, so you can use the USA Rhythm 1 model for that.
Thanks.
As I said, I owned and used a Triaxis for many years.
I know how its Presence control works and the rationale for it.

But I'm pretty sure I read what I read in the axe WIKI and that I saw what I saw within Axe Edit III in the video I cited.
I.e. The US Pre LD2 Yellow and Red sims do have the virtual "Preamp Presence" and "Pwr Amp Presence" knobs.
But the USA Pre Clean sim (and the USA Prea LD1 modes) only has the Pwr Amp Presence knob.

Now, since I don't own a III and don't have Axe Edit III, I can't really check this myself.
On the II, and on Axe Edit II, all these sims have the "Bright" control which is the Fractal version of the Triaxis' Presence control.
And I can't seem to find that video today for some reason.
So I could very well be wrong, which would be fine.

But here's the relevent quote from the Axe-WIKI, taken from one of Cliff's posts on the forum:
"On our reference Triaxis (both of them) the Presence control doesn't do anything for the Clean and LD1 modes. The model's Presence knob is therefore the Power Amp Presence."

Thanks for reminding me that the USA Clean, based on the MKIV, is also the Fractal version of the Triaxis' Clean Yellow mode.

The current USA Pre Models all have both the Preamp Presence and P.A. Presence knobs, but the Preamp Presence knob doesn't do anything in the Clean and Lead 1 models, like on Cliff's reference TriAxis units. The separate Preamp Presence and P.A. Presence knobs were added more recently in the Cygnus version of modelling.

There is a High Treble control on the Ideal page on those models that functions like the Bright control on the II. The control was renamed at some point in the III to avoid confusion with the Bright switch.

The current USA Pre Models all have both the Preamp Presence and P.A. Presence knobs, but the Preamp Presence knob doesn't do anything in the Clean and Lead 1 models, like on Cliff's reference TriAxis units. The separate Preamp Presence and P.A. Presence knobs were added more recently in the Cygnus version of modelling.

There is a High Treble control on the Ideal page on those models that functions like the Bright control on the II. The control was renamed at some point in the III to avoid confusion with the Bright switch.

Ah.
So maybe the video I saw was made prior to the release of the Cygnus modelling.
That might make sense.
Thanks again.
When was Cygnus first implemented?

Back
Top Bottom