Axe-FXIII Consultant Needed in San Francisco Bay Area

Hello,
I'm trying this another way. I need to hire a consultant to assist me in 1) problem solving on my AXEIII, and 2) how use it for my specific needs.
Who among you can help m the San Francisco Bay Area?
My rig is in my rehearsal space at the Oakland Music Complex.
I can come to you if that's what's needed.

Thanks

Why don't you post your question here instead? There's more than enough people who are willing to help you. Here's a couple questions that could get you going
1. What problem are you facing that you need to solve?
2. What are your specific needs?
3. What type of music do you play and what kind of tone are you looking to get?
4. How do you want your setup to look/work?
Thanks for getting back to me. I'll take your questions one at a time.

I'm not sure what is meant by "here instead" as I just posted it here. I'm not trying to be a smart-A, if there's someplace more appropriate, I'm open to it. I considered the "wishlist" but opted for here instead. I'll try that if you think that will help. BTW, I did not come to the decision to solicit help lightly. I have exhausted all the suggestions and my own capabilities to implement them and use this unit on my own. It was at the suggestion of one of the moderators that I sought help from others. I have spent countless hours on my own, and remain frustrated. There comes a point when one needs to recognize their limits. If unable to get the help I seek, the logical course would be to recognize this unit is not right for me. Before that, I wanted to see if I could get someone to work with me.

1) First and foremost - I cannot increase volume to any significant degree (such as playing with un-mic'd drums) with any high-gain presets without a tremendous amount of squeal of feedback with any touch of the strings. I have been taking and implementing suggestions for weeks, with no luck. I have implemented all the suggestions and have failed to fix this issue. I've returned my Shure GLXD wireless, as it's absolutely unusable with the Fractal in my current state.
2) My intent is to use one preset for a song or artist, w/ different scenes for the specific tone types. I might utilize other layouts, but for now...the unit pretty much does all I need here. I have one external expression pedal I'm using for wahs. I also need to level the different volumes across presets once I have the tones...but I haven't really gotten to that part yet.
3) I play many kinds of music, but my problems are exclusively with high-gain presets used for Metal and Classic Rock.
4) In addition to the items in #2, I would like to use my current rig w/o spending more money: Matrix GT1000 power amp; Mission Electric Gemini 2-P (2x12) cabinet; and ultimately the sennheiser EW100 G4 wireless that's coming (to replace Shure GLXD).

If you read all this, thanks.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll take your questions one at a time.

I'm not sure what is meant by "here instead" as I just posted it here. I'm not trying to be a smart-A, if there's someplace more appropriate, I'm open to it. I considered the "wishlist" but opted for here instead. I'll try that if you think that will help. BTW, I did not come to the decision to solicit help lightly. I have exhausted all the suggestions and my own capabilities to implement them and use this unit on my own. It was at the suggestion of one of the moderators that I sought help from others. I have spent countless hours on my own, and remain frustrated. There comes a point when one needs to recognize their limits. If unable to get the help I seek, the logical course would be to recognize this unit is not right for me. Before that, I wanted to see if I could get someone to work with me.

1) First and foremost - I cannot increase volume to any significant degree (such as playing with un-mic'd drums) with any high-gain presets without a tremendous amount of squeal of feedback with any touch of the strings. I have been taking and implementing suggestions for weeks, with no luck. I have implemented all the suggestions and have failed to fix this issue. I've returned my Shure GLXD wireless, as it's absolutely unusable with the Fractal in my current state.
2) My intent is to use one preset for a song or artist, w/ different scenes for the specific tone types. I might utilize other layouts, but for now...the unit pretty much does all I need here. I have one external expression pedal I'm using for wahs. I also need to level the different volumes across presets once I have the tones...but I haven't really gotten to that part yet.
3) I play many kinds of music, but my problems are exclusively with high-gain presets used for Metal and Classic Rock.
4) In addition to the items in #2, I would like to use my current rig w/o spending more money: Matrix GT1000 power amp; Mission Electric Gemini 2-P (2x12) cabinet; and ultimately the sennheiser EW100 G4 wireless that's coming (to replace Shure GLXD).

If you read all this, thanks.

Is there anyway you can post a video demonstrating your problems? Not all feedbacks are created equally lol

It sounds like your pickups could be microphonic. That could cause the squealing. Like I know my Tele through even low gain, but turned up loud could squeal, while my Les Paul could be cranked with no issue.

Also the first post was saying that this is a good place to ask! There’s a large knowledge base on this forum and a lot of us willing to help!

If you post the guitar and pickups you are using, along with the preset, that would help in diagnosing your issue.

Also, it would help immensely if you detailed your signal chain from guitar, pickups, pedals, Axe, amp(s), and speakers. Every step in the chain is a potential failure/issue.

I live about an hour from Oakland, out here by Modesto. I'd be more than happy to help with metal tones if you want to bring your rig out to my place. In the mean time to help squealing at gig volumes, set input block noise gate threshold 50db, ratio 3.0-5.0,fast release/attack, then put another Gate block after your Drive block, match the input block gate settings with fast attack,release settings. Also make sure your input signal isn't too hot.

I used to have feedback problems when I was using a power amp and speaker cabs. Now, I just run straight to the board and use in-ear monitors. It completely cut out the feedback and it's less gear that I have to haul/setup/teardown. I do like to use controlled feedback for certain songs, but that can be achieved through the use of the pitch block set for the interval you want for the feedback (octave up, octave and a fifth, etc.) I control the mix with a separate expression pedal.

Also, for help with setting up patches, check out Leon Todd's posts here in the forum (user 2112). He's got some great tutorials on Youtube as well, that have helped me immensely.

The video is at as low a volume is audible, and you'll still hear the feedback.
When I increased the volume to about 3 on the fractal, I could turn up the guitar volume knob and not hear anything until I moved my hands from the strings, and it went crazy. When I added the Drive (set to 1), it screamed as soon as I moved the volume knob.

The picture is after I completely re-did the preset...this time using two amps in parallel (I saw this on one of Leon Todd's presets), both inputs on 3, with Masters turned down. The output volumes are also turned down (one at -35db, the other at -15db).
This seems to have worked. I think the PEQ also made a difference.
Is there anyway you can post a video demonstrating your problems? Not all feedbacks are created equally lol

When I increased the volume to about 3 on the fractal, I could turn up the guitar volume knob and not hear anything until I moved my hands from the strings, and it went crazy. When I added the Drive (set to 1), it screamed as soon as I moved the volume knob.

The picture is after I completely re-did the preset...this time using two amps in parallel (I saw this on one of Leon Todd's presets), both inputs on 3, with Masters turned down. The output volumes are also turned down (one at -35db, the other at -15db).
No video or picture...

Also, post the actual preset... Pictures take work to recreate. A preset can be loaded right up by another user.

Go into Axe-Edit and export the preset then insert the file here.

I've

I've tried for an hour to load the video, it's too large...trimmed, it still won't load.
I'm gonna try again tomorrow.

Thanks all for trying

Attachments

• IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 53
I've

I've tried for an hour to load the video, it's too large...trimmed, it still won't load.

Thanks all for trying
I don't think you'll be able to attach a video as a file. You need a video hosting service like YouTube or Vimeo, etc.

The picture doesn't provide much useful info as only the pitch block details are visible.

I don't think you'll be able to attach a video as a file. You need a video hosting service like YouTube or Vimeo, etc.

The picture doesn't provide much useful info as only the pitch block details are visible.
Here's one many of you may already be familiar with.
I can't use any of the Lead scenes...it just squeals

Attachments

• JPIIc Mark IV Rig 6$ v2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 5
Here's one many of you may already be familiar with.
I can't use any of the Lead scenes...it just squeals
this preset has a few interesting things going on. it also has User Cabs, so i can't really tell what you're hearing because I don't have those same User cabs. do you know what IRs they are?

first the Pitch Shift to detune the whole guitar is after the Amp and Cab. this typically sounds better before amp and cab, usually first in the chain really.

also the Wah block has the "Offset" parameter for the modifier turned up a bit, so you can't totally get to 0 on the Control knob. this isn't interfering with the Auto-Engage for me, but not sure why it's turned up. it might be causing your Wah block to always be on though, so i'd check if it's Engaged all the time when you're hearing the bad sound. a Wah always on when you don't expect it to be has been the cause of many "it sounds bad" problems. i'd probably delete the block (and don't save) to test if removing it solves things.

in the Cab block, i don't have the same User cabs as you, as i mentioned, but Slot 4 in Channel C is turned down by -36, so you aren't really hearing that at all, and it seems to be the same User slot, so you probably can just Mute it.

for me, Scene 4 is very close to clipping, and Scene 5-8 are all definitely clipping. you need to reduce the Amp Level parameter a bit for the Amps in those Scenes (some Scenes share amps, so only need to adjust it once). use the VU meters on Hardware Layout > Zoom out to help you prevent clipping. for me, Scene 1 is a good volume, right at the Level Set line (the line to the right of middle).

if the Wah is turned on in Scenes 4-8, it definitely clips a lot worse. so i would guess that your Wah is on all the time. i'd delete that block (replace it with a Shunt) and see if things immediately get better.

I've

Thanks all for trying
You can put the video up on Dropbox or Amazon s3

I can give you a Dropbox link to upload if you need it.

this preset has a few interesting things going on. it also has User Cabs, so i can't really tell what you're hearing because I don't have those same User cabs. do you know what IRs they are?

first the Pitch Shift to detune the whole guitar is after the Amp and Cab. this typically sounds better before amp and cab, usually first in the chain really.

also the Wah block has the "Offset" parameter for the modifier turned up a bit, so you can't totally get to 0 on the Control knob. this isn't interfering with the Auto-Engage for me, but not sure why it's turned up. it might be causing your Wah block to always be on though, so i'd check if it's Engaged all the time when you're hearing the bad sound. a Wah always on when you don't expect it to be has been the cause of many "it sounds bad" problems. i'd probably delete the block (and don't save) to test if removing it solves things.

in the Cab block, i don't have the same User cabs as you, as i mentioned, but Slot 4 in Channel C is turned down by -36, so you aren't really hearing that at all, and it seems to be the same User slot, so you probably can just Mute it.

for me, Scene 4 is very close to clipping, and Scene 5-8 are all definitely clipping. you need to reduce the Amp Level parameter a bit for the Amps in those Scenes (some Scenes share amps, so only need to adjust it once). use the VU meters on Hardware Layout > Zoom out to help you prevent clipping. for me, Scene 1 is a good volume, right at the Level Set line (the line to the right of middle).

if the Wah is turned on in Scenes 4-8, it definitely clips a lot worse. so i would guess that your Wah is on all the time. i'd delete that block (replace it with a Shunt) and see if things immediately get better.
This was incredibly helpful...thanks!

As for the IRs, they were one of the following (I won't have access to the rig until tomorrow):
U1.0020_Precision Drive Attack 1.syx
U1.0044_Palmer Norm UltraRes.syx
U1.0026_MES ST V70 Mix 2.syx
I believe those were the options posted with the initial preset.

You can put the video up on Dropbox or Amazon s3

I can give you a Dropbox link to upload if you need it.
I tried to load the video again and kept getting error messages (couldn't even get it to load to my own DropBox account), and then proceeded to lose my cool.
I'm gonna stand down until the weekend when one member has been kind enough to invite me to bring my rig to his place and work with me. It's likely a good use of time to take a deep breath. In the meantime, I'm gonna play through my Jim Kelley...which has just four knobs, and there's no question on how to use it.
I appreciate everyone's time and energy...sincerely.

This was incredibly helpful...thanks!

As for the IRs, they were one of the following (I won't have access to the rig until tomorrow):
U1.0020_Precision Drive Attack 1.syx
U1.0044_Palmer Norm UltraRes.syx
U1.0026_MES ST V70 Mix 2.syx
I believe those were the options posted with the initial preset.
hmm, the first 2 IRs sound pretty unique. the palmer IR is a cab sim of a cab sim which has a unique sound, which i wouldn't recommend for a "standard" tone.

also, User 1 loaded for me on that preset, not any of those user slots, so i'm not sure you're even using any of those.

anyway, i'd try some factory IRs shrug

Back
Top Bottom