Axe fxII with a powered speaker vs axe fx II on the fx loop of a Mesa roadster

Hyperion88

So guys, I am gonna purchase an axe fx II and I already own a mesa boogie roadster 2x12 combo...what i would like to know is which sounds better:

Using the 4cm with the Mesa( serial fx loop) and having the cab/power amp sims off or

Running the axe with a pair of powered studio monitors( Yamaha hs50 for example) using the power amp simulations of the fxII..

I am currently not doing any gigs...I only play at home and not very loud...also if you guys have some other suggestions as far as monitors go, just know that i am not looking into getting something too expensive, and I would like to have that stereo sound for the first time....I know that QSC k12 , Mackie 1531 HD and Adam A7 are awesome, but as of right now I could only afford something between 400 and 600 dollars for a pair...

Thanks for your time!!

i would highly suggest the studio monitor route. sound will be stereo, you'll have full frequency range capabilities and you can easily control the volume while getting the "amp turned all the way up" tone, for example.

I have a similar gear at home. I like axe fx II with mesa express (4CM) much more.
It sounds as I expect (amp in the room). Axe through HS-50 sounds - i would say - much processed/polished,
and does not feel as a real amp at all.

And I have cab-sim OFF and amp-sim ON.

just remember the intention of the axefx through full range speakers is to sound like a mic'd amp coming to the studio control room, not necessarily an amp in the room. this change in thinking has given me so many more options and possibilities than a "real" guitar amp when playing live and recording. just my opinion.

i say-
#1 option- powered monitors
and #2- not mentioned above... slave the roadster- used it just as a power amp and use the axe2 as a preamp.

easier, somewhat more practical and versatile-

(guitar into axe- axe out into effects return on the roadster-- NOTHING in the roadster input)

I'd also run it slaved with power amp simulators on and cabs off

the Roadster is an extremely clean power amp- you can use all 4 channels as the power amp and switch them with sound/tone/tube options...
channel 1 and 2 you'd want to have it set to CLEAN, and 3/4 you'd want it set to RAW (not modern or vintage for power amp purposes)

anyway the roadster is really clean of a power amp so its difficult to drive it and get power tube saturation and have the power tubes add tone...
so I'd recommend using the axe2's preamp and power amp simulation- you'll get great tone and a cranked full tone at a reasonable option

however overall i think monitors are a better option for stereo use.

I've done what I've described above with my Mesa Boogie Road King

I've actually owned all of the above. I have studio monitors (HS80s) and a pair of HD1221s. I also owned a Roadster with an Axe-Fx.

IMO, the best sound I've gotten from a purely guitar playing standpoint is through the powered wedges. The monitors sound great down low but don't really have the oomph that the Mackies do. The Roadster, on the other hand - unless the volume on it was wide open, I could never dial out the fizz using the Axe in the loop/4CM. The Roadster is a dark amp to begin with, and it seemed that no matter what I did it would always sound muffled unless I used it purely as a power amp.

For a slightly less expensive solution, I also had a set of KRK Rokit 8's for a while and for home jamming they were great. A little too bassy to mix with, but for just shredding at home they're a solid choice.

Thanks for all your responses!!!...so let me see if i got it....

if I use the roadster as a power amp for the axe and have the power amp simulations OFF...I will have that "tube tone" dilemma, where I would need to crank the master in order to have a great tone right?

while using the roadster as a power amp but having the power amp sims on the axe fx turned ON, would that fix the issue?

I eventually will have to by a pair of studio monitors, maybe not now...but in a couple of months probably, which brand and model would you guys recommen for a home usage? I am between yamaha hs50, mackie mr5, m audio bx5 or bx8...

Thanks,

if I use the roadster as a power amp for the axe and have the power amp simulations OFF...I will have that "tube tone" dilemma, where I would need to crank the master in order to have a great tone right?

Sort of. I had an Ultra, not a II, when I had my Roadster, but like any tube power section, it definitely sounded better with the master up. You'll want to pick up an attenuator. (hot plate, etc)

while using the roadster as a power amp but having the power amp sims on the axe fx turned ON, would that fix the issue?

Again just my experience with it, but I ended up liking it much better with the PA sims on.

Sort of. I had an Ultra, not a II, when I had my Roadster, but like any tube power section, it definitely sounded better with the master up. You'll want to pick up an attenuator. (hot plate, etc)

The power amp section of the roadster is VERY clean so anything less than deafening would still not have that power amp sound you want
an attenuator is just putting more stress on the amp for nothing...

a more realistic and controllable option is power amp sim ON when using the roadster as a power amp

shameless self promotion time...

in this video- i'm using a road king, rectifier cab, and axe fx ii (last years sets of anthems i just plugged straight into the road king- no effects/nothing guitar into amp)

the road king- which is one of the greatest amps ever made-- is being completely bypassed- no input... guitar into axe fx- axe fx out into the fx return
REMEMBER YOU HAVE TO TELL THE AXE FX YOU'RE DOING THIS- IN THE GLOBAL/OUTPUT SETTINGS
couldn't figured out why it sounded horrible for a few days- i was phasing myself out make so sure the axe is set to mono

The RK is set to CHANNEL 1 CLEAN, it is at a VERY LOW VOLUME- the volume I'm on at the stadium is probably less than that of if i was playing with a drummer

The Cab simulators are OFF- because I have a real cab... and the power amp simulators are ON- huge difference in tone, really brings the guitar to life...

I couldn't get anywhere near that power amp sound on its own.

Nice sound man!!..and very nice playing....so yeah...I'm picking my axe fx II this Friday and definitely gonna try it with the PA sims ON....

so....actually i just got the axe today...and I am probably doing something wrong...here's what I did..

Guitar ---axe fx( insrt)
axe fx (output 1L)----roadster return
axe fx ( input 1 L)----roadster send
axe fx ( output 2L)---front input of the roadster

The only sound I get is a clean one, I tried switching the power amp simulation on the fractal on and off and I have the same results

second test:

guitar----axe fx (insrt)
axe fx output1L----roadster return

I have no sound whatsoever coming out with this set up

Is there anything that I am doing wrong here...any set up's I might have forgotten...the fx loop on the mesa is on ...

in the first setup, change the roadster send to input 2 left.

input 1 L is the same as instrument in. regardless, you need to use the fx loop of the axe fx, which is input 2 (and output 2).

with this setup, are you using FX only, or are you using amp sims as well? the trick for this 4 cable method really is balancing levels correctly for gain staging. so watch your out 1 and out 2 volume.

as for the 2nd test, out1 to roadster return should have made sound. if you plug your guitar directly into roadster return, is there sound? i believe the volume would be controlled by the amps master volume as well as the roadster fx loop control. you should get sound with the guitar. if you don't, something is wrong with the amp. if you do get sound, try the 2nd test hookup again. if you get no sound there, check your utility menu VU meters or try headphones in the front of the axe. out1 and headphones receive the same signal.

lemme know.

your fx loop MUST be on/engaged and the roadster has to be set to a channel.

make sure your master and channel master are up and the output of the Axe is up

OK thanks everybody!!....I did get a sound out of the axe fx..still have to dial some sounds in....man that Uber lead has so much gain...I had to turn it back to between 11 and 12 o" clock

Back
Top Bottom