AXE FX3 Gift of Tone Installation Instructions

Drock

Just got an AXE FX3 Yesterday and tried to use the Vai Gift of Tone present (sounds...?) I can't figure out how to import them.

I just pointed my workspace folder to the Vai folder and don't know where that's supposed to go...so, I need help pointing that back to default.

Would it be possible for someone to explain how to install the Gift of Tone presets (step-by-step instructions please)? I've got the Axe 3 on, connected, sound coming out, and can scroll around via the FC 12, the AXE itself and within Edit...but that's about it. So basic instructions please and a huge thank you! One time and I'll get it. Yes, I did look online and all I can find is people talking about the sounds, etc but no one that shows step-by-step how to install and use them! Thanks!!

Just got an AXE FX3 Yesterday and tried to use the Vai Gift of Tone present (sounds...?) I can't figure out how to import them.

I just pointed my workspace folder to the Vai folder and don't know where that's supposed to go...so, I need help pointing that back to default.

Would it be possible for someone to explain how to install the Gift of Tone presets (step-by-step instructions please)? I've got the Axe 3 on, connected, sound coming out, and can scroll around via the FC 12, the AXE itself and within Edit...but that's about it. So basic instructions please and a huge thank you! One time and I'll get it. Yes, I did look online and all I can find is people talking about the sounds, etc but no one that shows step-by-step how to install and use them! Thanks!!
They are blocks not preset for Vai. You can import them to your blocks folder in Axe Edit.

Different artists gave different kinds of stuff, so the way you use them is different. Presets, blocks, etc. Read the description for each one carefully, and any instructions, and ask here if you get stuck.

Also, welcome!

Thanks for the clarification of block vs. preset. Preset = fully built sound from that person. Block is just one part of their tone ex. Delay Is that right? If I'm going to use a Vai block (or anyone's for that matter - then how to you insert those? I just pulled up 0417: 5153 Red 1 I don't see where I can insert a Vai block. Sorry if I'm not making sense...hence the request to dumb it down.

You can drag the block from file straight to an empty preset block then right click mouse on block and select Library then save. You must find your Axe Edit folder then the appropriate folder then you can just save all the blocks to it. I ended up creating some of my own folders.

D:\DOWNLOADS\MUSIC\FRACTAL\AXE-FX lll\AXE EDIT III\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit III

Attachments

• AXE Edit Library.png
    AXE Edit Library.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Blocks Library.png
    Blocks Library.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 31
Yes - thank you! Just what I was looking for. It's a bit mis leading...."gift of tone"...more like fragment of tone LOL. Well, I got some work to do..thanks so much!

Another question...not sure if my library is actually empty or just not pointed in the right area. I've got a preset that I've just built and on Amp 1 I have selected "Legend 100" but when I go to the library it's empty. I'm just confirming that's correct. It was the same with "drive 1".

Another question...not sure if my library is actually empty or just not pointed in the right area. I've got a preset that I've just built and on Amp 1 I have selected "Legend 100" but when I go to the library it's empty. I'm just confirming that's correct. It was the same with "drive 1".
You have to save the Block (Amp, FX, i.e.). Right click mouse on block you want to save then Library then save. Then you can go to Blocks tab and scroll to Library then recall.

It would be handy if all of the 'Gift of Tone' blocks from each person would be put into a few presets so that it would be easier to just import the preset, and then save them to your personal library, or copy and paste them into your desired preset(s) from that 'blocks' preset.

It would be handy if all of the 'Gift of Tone' blocks from each person would be put into a few presets so that it would be easier to just import the preset, and then save them to your personal library, or copy and paste them into your desired preset(s) from that 'blocks' preset.
Sounds like a great idea but I'm happy with anything we can get from those guys.😛
Hope all is well with you and your family. Have you been gigging this year?

yah I agree - happy to get anything from them! I can get all everything working from Vai I except the M- Delay. I haven't tried anything from any of the other artists yet because I'd like to make sure I do it right.

yah I agree - happy to get anything from them! I can get all everything working from Vai I except the M- Delay. I haven't tried anything from any of the other artists yet because I'd like to make sure I do it right.
What is your Vai M-Dly issue?

The Block Library folder defaults to the same path as the Global Settings file and is called "Blocks" IIRC. The Global Settings path is defined by your OS.

In Axe-Edit go to Settings > Preferences > Workspace and look at the path for "Global Settings".

I'd recommend not changing that path if you have only one Fractal device.*
Would it be possible for someone to explain how to install the Gift of Tone presets (step-by-step instructions please)? I've got the Axe 3 on, connected, sound coming out, and can scroll around via the FC 12, the AXE itself and within Edit...but that's about it. So basic instructions please and a huge thank you! One time and I'll get it. Yes, I did look online and all I can find is people talking about the sounds, etc but no one that shows step-by-step how to install and use them!
I recommend these steps:
  1. Unarchive all the GOT .zip files into their associated directories. I keep the .zip files and their directories in a "GOT" directory that's embedded in my "Fractal Stuff" directory.
  2. I'm on macOS, and you didn't say which OS you're using, but, on macOS I create an alias from the GOT directory and drop it into my Blocks library folder. I'm sure Windows has an associated functionality but it's been YEARS since I used Windows. Ignore that, I forgot that Edit doesn't resolve aliases. Copy or move the directory into the Block folder.
  3. In the Edit application, go to Block > Library > Refresh Library menu, and let Edit scan its folders.
  4. Add a Delay block to the grid.
  5. Click it, to select it, then click the box below Library on the bottom left. The Vai blocks should appear. Select the one you want and Edit will add the parameters to the currently selected Delay block in the grid.
At the desktop level, presets have .syx extensions, and blocks have .blk extensions. The Block Library manager is smart enough to be able to figure out which is which and only presets the blocks in the library.

* If you have multiple, current generation, Fractal devices, it makes more sense to point the Block Library folder to a single directory and let the Edit app for each unit write to the common space. That allows them to share the blocks and they'll sort out any differences between the units.

You can do the same thing with the Snapshots and Preset Templates directories if you want access from the respective editors also.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great idea but I'm happy with anything we can get from those guys.😛
Hope all is well with you and your family. Have you been gigging this year?
Doing good. But honestly, it's been a rough year.

Had gigs booked, but keep having to cancel for one reason or another. I got Covid again right before a gig. Singer got Covid again right before another gig. Drummer got Covid again right before another gig. Singer's brother unexpectedly passed. Bass player had double hernia surgery (six weeks off). My mother got diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer, then had a stroke a few days later. Finally played one gig and then the Drummer's wife had emergency appendectomy. Next shot is May 27th.

I hope that I remember how to play the guitar.;)

Had gigs booked, but keep having to cancel for one reason or another. I got Covid again right before a gig. Singer got Covid again right before another gig. Drummer got Covid again right before another gig. Singer's brother unexpectedly passed. Bass player had double hernia surgery (six weeks off). My mother got diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer, then had a stroke a few days later. Finally played one gig and then the Drummer's wife had emergency appendectomy. Next shot is May 27th.

Wow, man... Hope you catch a break soon :)

I got COVID a couple days before my band's first gig in 3+ years last spring.

Originals band so no possibility of a fill-in... We worked so hard to get ready and it really bummed me out but we had to cancel.

Damn Moke, so sorry to hear about your Mom. My Mother passed away at 56 with lung cancer. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and bandmates. Hope you get to gig then. I'd imagine it will be such an outlet and breath of fresh air when you do.

Hi there, I’ve got a problem with installing Gift of Tone presets, I’m not computer savvy, GOT preset downloads are coming in Zip file and I can’t import them, I think they need to be Syx Files to install. Any suggestions would be welcomed.Thank you,Joseph

Hi there, I’ve got a problem with installing Gift of Tone presets, I’m not computer savvy, GOT preset downloads are coming in Zip file and I can’t import them, I think they need to be Syx Files to install. Any suggestions would be welcomed.Thank you,Joseph
Unzip them first.

More detailed instructions after that, if you need them, will have to come from others, can't do that right now.

But it's not hard! You'll have fun.

Back
Top Bottom