AXE FX XL AND CONTROLLER

rustyshed

Inspired
Hi everyone,

So I am an axe fx virgin.

I want to be able to use axe edit to create patches and also use the axe for live use with a matrix gt800fx amp and also in the studio connected to a roland octa capture.

Anyone got any pointers for me ?

I guess i download axe edit connect the unit and away we go but is there anything I may overlook?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Rusty

1 ) Explore the patches.
2) Read the manual.
3) Make some patches
4) Read the Wiki
5) Make some patches
6) Read the manual again.
7) Read the wiki again.

Sprinkle watching videos throughout.

You'll miss things. Read the manual, wiki and search the forums, a lot.

Hi,

I am already doing this, im just wondering is there a certain order you plug in the axe when using usb after downloading drivers? or is it just a plug and unplug thang!

I think Jack's plan is a good one. I recently purchased my AxeFX II XL, and as a first time owner / user, I did exactly what he recommends to you. I started by just going through all the patches to hear what was there, then I hooked up my computer and used Axe-Edit to delve into the amps / cabs / effects for each patch. Then I started building patches, based on favorite amp models, experimenting with putting effects in series / parallel, and adding a second amp / cabinet to layer tones. The Wiki and manual provide excellent guidance. I'm also accustomed to working in the studio, so the tone layering and multi-chain effect paradigm are familiar territory.

Axe-Edit is very helpful because it gives you a logical representation of what is happening inside the unit. You can isolate each block to dig into how it sounds on its own, and then get a feel for how the common blocks interact as part of a chain.

Take lots of notes, too! I made a handy little Excel spreadsheet to keep track of favorite amp / cab models, basic effect settings, and so on. And, visit the forum. There are very helpful fellow users here, and it's a great community. Welcome aboard!

The USB should be plug and play, and is pretty stable to plug and unplug. BUT... I had an issue in my first week when My AXE was on, and plugged into my laptops's USB, and then I booted the laptop. It made my AXE go crazy, and the screen freaked out. I ended up having to re install firmware and do a system reset. I would suggest having the computer running, hooking up USB, then turning on the AXE last. (obviously, if you have a mixer, or power amp or monitors, those go on last, after the AXE, but you knew that already.)

Hi everyone.

Ok i have the Axe Xl and MFC101, made some presets blah de blah, downloaded some cool presets too. Absolutely loving it.

So, I am looking at expression pedals for the MFC, thinking of the Moog EP3 and roland EV5 or maybe the M Audio one also. Anyone got experience with any of these? ( I want light weight pedals rather than anything heavy, this was the main reason for buying the Axe).

Also any tips for tweaking presets that run from matrix gt800fx into 4x12 with V30's?

Thank you in advance.

Back
Top Bottom