Axe fx working as a DI

pjrs78

Hi
I saw a Periphery video where they were using a Di for reamping. Why do they use a DI for reamping? Doesn't the axefx do that?

What do you mean by "using a DI for reamping"? Do they use a direct box to capture the DI which they later reamp? I feel like I saw this in some video as well, and I'm also curious why.

My habit is to capture the DI from the AxeFx from the digital out, while also recording (and monitoring from) the analog out. I've often wondered if this is a good habit, or if I'm missing something that explains why a direct box would be prudent.

Maybe Periphery cannot capture the DI from the AxeFx digitally for some reason, so getting it from the AxeFx would mean extra AD/DA conversion steps that they circumvent with a direct box? I'm obviously just guessing here.

AFAIK they record at 44.1k, not 48k so they can't use USB to record. This is why they run the guitar into the Radial DI to capture the DI signal. Not sure why they don't just set their sample rate to 48k.

AFAIK they record at 44.1k, not 48k so they can't use USB to record. This is why they run the guitar into the Radial DI to capture the DI signal. Not sure why they don't just set their sample rate to 48k.
They don't use the Axe as their audio interface. 48k vs 41k has nothing to do with it.

They don't use the Axe as their audio interface. 48k vs 41k has nothing to do with it.
I don't use the Axe as my audio interface and I don't use a direct box. I record the DI using SPDIF and monitor using the XLR via FX Loop straight to my studio monitors. I'll later reamp using SPDIF. This allows me to really tweak the Axe-Fx to fit the song. Plus, it cuts down the conversion to only one time (right at the front input of the Axe-Fx).

Back
Top Bottom