Axe FX ways to make a metal distortion patch.

ilikeshred

Greeting people!

Today, i was testing a lot of thing on my Axe Fx and found some pretty neet stuff. I know a lot of people might have found those tricks and the base of the idea is already a little common among sound engineers. Still, i want to show a little idea that can be applied on ANY Axe FX to make a great metal patch. Yes you can push it further if you have an Ultra or Axe Fx II, but let me show you what i want to share with all of you:Axe FX basic image.jpgAxe FX basic image.jpg

So let me explain a little bit. As you can see, the signals is split in 2. On for the low frequencies of the guitar, the other one for the rest of the frequencies. What it's really allowing you to do is to put up a fat bass without over em-phasing on the gain. I personally like to put a Recto New patch, Euro Uber or Solo 100, but nothing is a rule or a MUST DO. This give me the kind of palm muting that somewhat dry but fat and big. The other part is the rest of the frequencies. What is nice for that is you can now krank up the gain a lot more that you would and still have definitions to your sound. I personally like to put a Das Metal or an Energyball patch. So doing that on an Axe Fx standard unfortunately limit yourself for using other effect, since YOU WILL run out pretty quickly your CPU. You still get a stable patch if you don't add many type of Cabs. I still do an stereo effect for the cabs.

I don't share patch, i juste want to give people concept and be able to experiment with it. I don't have the same gears and certainly we don't play the same thing. Experiment, you will get the sound you search for, just understand the concept and you WILL get there and you still can ask if you are troubled with anything.

On a final note, just want to say that if you have a better ways of doing something like that or something important, i would be interested to see what you have to say about it :).

Hi there,

just a quick question regarding what you posted. How do you approach the amp blocks in terms of EQ? Do you EQ your amp block in regards to what is being sent to them (bass or high)?

Thanks for the reply.

Hi there,

just a quick question regarding what you posted. How do you approach the amp blocks in terms of EQ? Do you EQ your amp block in regards to what is being sent to them (bass or high)?

Thanks for the reply.
I approach the one with bass with more low than usual, enough to be "boomy" but not on the point that the low begin to distort the whole patch. I put no mid and little presence and treble.

The one with the high frequency, i usually put no low at all or almost no low and try to get the mid a little higher than i usually do, as much treble and presence as i do normally.

Their is no right way of doing it, but that's my method. Another thing i could say is too spend more time to find the right ampblock for your patch. I hope that my comment help you in any way :).

Back
Top Bottom