Axe Fx w/ Apollo users for PT Aggregate

indeloon85

Inspired
So I have finally figured out how to get the best of both worlds with the Axe Fx 2 and UAD Apollo. What you can do with this setup makes the AXE FX that much more amazing. Setting up a Pro Tools Aggregate for both is well worth it.

I am running it not only as the processor and tracking the DI signal, but also running from the analog outs to the APOLLO Ins for whatever type of UAD processing you want (eq, compression, etc).

If that's not enough, you can also use the AXE FX as an insert or Aux send to use its Effect capabilities (which are AMAZING) within your session. So you can process vocals, drums, piano, etc.
Plus still using the axe fx to reamp your DI signal and tweak to your heart's desire.

Am I late to the party on this one? If so, I apologize, but I'm on cloud 9 since it just opened up a whole mess load of capabilities. Please share your thoughts!

I have an Apollo Duo and I'm interested in this setup. However, if we are talking a digital connection from the Axe to the cpu/interface, aren't you locked at 48k? At least in regards to using it as an fx insert? I need to brush up on setting up an Aggregate device, any more details regarding your connections/settings would be appreciated. Id love to pipe in some of the new verbs from the Axe!

I have an Apollo Duo and I'm interested in this setup. However, if we are talking a digital connection from the Axe to the cpu/interface, aren't you locked at 48k? At least in regards to using it as an fx insert? I need to brush up on setting up an Aggregate device, any more details regarding your connections/settings would be appreciated. Id love to pipe in some of the new verbs from the Axe!

Definitely! Keep in mind that I have analog connections going from the Axe Out 1 (L/R) to the Apollo IN 1/2. For the Digital I'm still using the USB from the Axe to the computer. As far as the being locked to 48k, that would make sense. I'm usually using 24/48 anyway though. The setup is in Audio Midi Setup (on a Mac, Not sure how it would be on a PC) and you create an Aggregate (I would recommend renaming it so it doesn't get confusing) by hitting the "+" button on the bottom left of the window. This will create the new aggregate. I set my clock source to the Apollo (I believe it defaults to the Axe Fx). Then select both the Apollo and Axe Fx to be used for your Aggregate.
Next you want to open Pro Tools, navigate to the Setup menu, then Playback Engine. Change this to your new Aggregate (Whatever you named it). After that, open your I/O settings. If you like how your setup is currently, I would suggest doing an "Export Settings" just so you can get back to what you have it currently set at. Once you've done that, delete each page's I/O's (In, Out, Bus, Insert) and Option/Click "Default". This will put everything PT recognizes as default in the I/O. Keep in mind, when I did this, it will not assign the last 4 slots in the IN/Out/Insert Pages. Its going to be hard to explain this, but I figured this next part out with a little Trial/Erroring.
When you are looking at the pages Pro Tools mislabels the In's/Out's/Inserts by default. For me, the open 4 slots were actually the Last 4 slots for the Apollo. So you need to move the 14 inputs to the right, to have 1-4 open (Does that make sense?). These are the slots for the Axe Fx even though PT labeled them the Apollo slots. Make a stereo (and mono sub's) for each page (IN/Out/Insert), label them correctly (Axe L/R, Axe DI/LFO) and hit OK.
That last part is a little hard to understand, but you should get it if you've setup I/O's in PT before. Keep in mind, once you want to use your Axe Fx as an Insert for PT, switch the Input to "USB" and make sure the input is set to Stereo or you will be processing stereo tracks with mono effects. You'll also be able to revamp DI'd signals, and reprocess them with the Apollo Plugins on the way IN since you have the Analog IN's. Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks so much for the info! I finally had some time today to try this, and I'm slightly in over my head. I thought of PMing but I figured maybe this could help someone else looking to do this too.

I was able to set up the Aggregate no problem. I created a 48k PT session, changed the Playback Engine to my Aggregate, deleted all In/Out/Bus/Insert settings and replaced with Default. Now, I didn't move anything, because frankly I wouldn't know if my settings were "off" like you described yours, or not. I snapped screenshots of all 4 settings. Let me know what to look for in regards to them not being labeled correctly, etc. After trying several things, I was getting my Apollo-affected signal from In 1-2 and the USB(?) signal from In 15-16. I could tell because I adjusted my Studer Tape Machine plug in and it only affected the track receiving In 1-2.

Just for the record, I have no interest in recording DI guitar and re-amping. Just not my thing/workflow. Im mostly interested in being able to fly tracks from PT to the AxeFX for effects without the A/D D/A conversion. With that said, Id still like to figure out all these new Ins and Outs! Thanks for your help :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 6.35.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 6.35.45 PM.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 6.36.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 6.36.11 PM.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 6.36.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 6.36.45 PM.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 6.37.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 6.37.02 PM.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 18
Am I late to the party on this one? If so, I apologize, but I'm on cloud 9 since it just opened up a whole mess load of capabilities. Please share your thoughts!

Late to the party? Yeah but don't apologize because the party isn't very big yet. You showed up at 11:30pm when it really gets hopping. The ones who showed up at 10 are just losers like me. With the new reverb and now talk of the "channel strip" it's going to be quite the party.

Back
Top Bottom