Axe FX vs Mesa Mark IV 12" combo

The newer versions of firmware actually remove some of the less desirable traits of a tube amp. For example the power tube grid clipping is an important component of the tone but the character of that grid clipping is somewhat offensive. So the Axe-Fx uses a more sonically pleasing version of grid clipping. The virtual power tube grids still clip but they do so in a way that emphasizes the good aspects.

My guess is that people aren't choosing "which is the amp vs. which is the Axe-Fx" but instead are choosing "which sounds better".
Thanks for the insight Cliff. If I remember correctly I chose the Axe in Michael's test (as the amp actually) for that very reason - it just sounded better somehow. While some purists may no doubt want an exact replica I think that having an amp without the negatives is pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just put the Axe-Fx to the test yesterday against a Mark IV head and live tone matching. I wanted to achieve a straight line and remove the tone match so what would be left is just the amp block sounding as close as possible to the actual Mark IV we had with EL34s in the outer sockets. Here's how close we got:

live%20tone%20match%20with%20mark%20iv.jpg

Gains, presence, GEQ were a bit off but the main difference was the speaker resonance page. I was tone matching the slave out signal just so you know.

Anyways we got it so close that I wouldn't bet money on which one was real or a sim. Still... tweaking that sound on the real thing was easier. Getting the palm mutes to sound "right" was the biggest struggle.

Back
Top Bottom