Axe FX Volumes for live use?

Ethanfitzzz

Currently only used my Axe FX at home in my bedroom, haven't really tweaked any of the presets

I'm using 2 10 inch speakers in stereo

Just unsure on how to set my volumes?

Currently only used my Axe FX at home in my bedroom, haven't really tweaked any of the presets

I'm using 2 10 inch speakers in stereo

Just unsure on how to set my volumes?

You’re gonna have to deal with that during sound check at the venue. I’m sure you know that bedroom tweaking and volumes are nothing like a live venue. Get there early so that you’re not under pressure to get dialed in. Do you use an expression/volume pedal? If not I highly recommend using one.

what volumes? the overall Output knob? or balancing levels among your Presets and Scenes?

Everything
here's an old video i made showing how to use the bulit-in VU meter for leveling presets:

as for the output knob setting, for most gigs, i start it at 9 o clock on the physical knob, and many times that's "plenty" for the sound guy. if he needs more i usually use a range of 9 o clock to 3 o clock on the knob.

sound guy's skills can vary from gig to gig. many don't setup the board correctly or have preconceived notions of what mixer channel gain level a guitar needs. so it's usually way higher than it should be. that's why i start at 9 o clock on the physical out knob. chances are they have too much channel gain and will refuse to turn it lower "because."

This issue is similar whether you use a modeler or traditional guitar amp & pedals. The ONLY real way to do it is at near gig volume with the band. Live, the phrase "less is more" usually applies. The more gain, delay, modulation, etc etc etc you add, the less your sound will cut through the live mix.

Back
Top Bottom