Axe FX use cases: getting the most bang with the least gear

zslane

Inspired
The intrinsic power and flexibility of the Axe FX has me thinking about the most common use cases in an attempt to find an optimal rig that covers the most bases with the fewest items. Here is what I've come up with in terms of the most common (general) use cases:

1. Practice/Noodling (i.e., solo "bedroom playing")
  2. Band rehearsal (i.e., small space, live band mix)
  3. Live venue, no P.A. (mic'ed cab)
  4. Live venue with P.A.
  5. Recording studio, mic'ed cab
  6. Recording studio, direct to DAW/console
If anyone can think of a common use case not covered by any of the above, feel free to add to the list.

Now it seems to me that putting the Axe FX into a rack with a 1U or 2U linear amp and having a passive FRFR cab on hand, say an Atomic passive wedge, covers the most bases. Obviously it covers case 1. In cases 2 and 3, you would probably need to turn off cab sims and use a full-sized guitar cab, adding another piece of gear to the rig for those situations. In cases 4 and 6 you could use the wedge as a stage monitor and feed the P.A./DAW/console direct from the Axe FX, right? In case 5, one might reasonably assume that the recording studio would have cabs on hand to use so that you don't necessarily have to bring your own.

So if one is also going to have a cab on hand for cases 2 and 3 and one still wants to exploit the power of cab sims, then perhaps one or two active FRFR cabs would suffice for all but the largest venues (where a P.A. system is sure to be involved anyway)? They could be left in the rehearsal space and only brought out for those (rare?) gigs where no P.A. was available. But I'm also wondering if just the passive Atomic wedge could be enough for band rehearsals. Does anyone have experience using a single Atomic wedge for band rehearsal, in particular, heavy rock and metal styles where getting lost in the mix is frighteningly easy?

I'm trying to plan my initial Axe FX rig and I'd like to try and get the most bang for the smallest rig footprint possible, acknowledging that special cases may require extra gear down the road.

Thanks!

If you have an Axe FX, why would you mic a cab when you could just feed directly to the P.A. (assuming you have, say, a passive wedge as a stage monitor)? I confess I'm not familiar enough with live gigging to understand the reasoning behind other permutations.

I wouldn't want to do it but it is a case that can be done. I have done shows in the past where I had to use the mic on the stage. If that's is what is given to you from the sound guy that doesn't want to think then it will happen.

Buy:
-AxeFX
-FBT 12ma
-ownhammer impulses
-rack case

The 12ma easily covers all live and rehearsal needs. It can be miced due to coaxial speaker design, but there really is no need to do that.
The ownhammer impulses give you easy to use wide variety of superb cab sound that is hard to get when micing a real cab. Both for live and studio uses.

Last edited:
Buy:
-AxeFX
-FBT 12ma
-ownhammer impulses
-rack case

The 12ma easily covers all live and rehearsal needs. It can be miced due to coaxial speaker design, but there really is no need to do that.
The ownhammer impulses give you easy to use wide variety of superb cab sound that is hard to get when micing a real cab. Both for live and studio uses.

The 12ma is active (hence the "a" in its model name), right? I was thinking of using a passive cab and putting an amp in the rack with the Axe FX so that I could just grab the rack by itself and take it to places that have cabs on hand for quick jams and such, and not have to haul a cab around with me all the time. There may be times when I'm willing to forego the flexibility of using the cab sims and an FRFR cab in exchange for a little extra portability. Can't really do that if I am tied to always using an active speaker, no?

Out of curiosity, is there something that makes the FBT a clear winner over Atomic?

Out of curiosity, is there something that makes the FBT a clear winner over Atomic?
To me the compact design and the coaxial speaker setup are really great.
I've not played through the atomics yet, but from what i've read they are pronouncing the upper mids a bit.
Might be even helpfull to cut through in a live situation, but I want a flat speaker as a monitor to really be able to judge about the sound I send to FOH.
Those active FBTs have dedicated poweramps for each speaker (woofer/tweeter) that are carefully layed out exactly for that purpose.
I've not tried the passive FBTs either, but I guess they work great with solidstate poweramps.

The 12ma is active (hence the "a" in its model name), right? I was thinking of using a passive cab and putting an amp in the rack with the Axe FX so that I could just grab the rack by itself and take it to places that have cabs on hand for quick jams and such, and not have to haul a cab around with me all the time. There may be times when I'm willing to forego the flexibility of using the cab sims and an FRFR cab in exchange for a little extra portability. Can't really do that if I am tied to always using an active speaker, no?

That works. You may also want to consider the fact that an active monitor like the 12ma would allow you to know exactly what you will sound like. I.e., you won't know your exact sound through an unknown speaker cab until you play though it, and it may require tweaking. If you bring your own active monitor, you will already have your patches dialed in for your exact speaker setup. However, either way should work fine.

Wedges seem workable for practice, rehearsal, and personal/stage monitoring, but are they really appropriate for FOH delivery? I know that the straight cabs are intended for FOH, but I'm going to try and get by with just one cab for now and need to make it work in as many different contexts as I can. I'm not sure which is the better initial investment: straight or wedge.

Back
Top Bottom