Axe-Fx USB MIDI Thru problem

Does anyone also have problems regarding midi through? I have the exact setup as somebody up here (axe-fxII + LF+12+ laptop with MAC OSX with VST/AU controlled by midi guitar), and if I turn on midi through, the LF is not getting data back on the MIDI IN port.

Maybe explain your setup in a bit more detail. Do you mean MIDI through from the computer through the Axe Fx to the LF?

Maybe explain your setup in a bit more detail. Do you mean MIDI through from the computer through the Axe Fx to the LF?

Sorry.
LF+12+ -> MIDI OUT -> AXE-FX II MIDI IN
AXE-FX MIDI THRU -> LAPTOP MIDI IN

Set: Midi thru: ON
Data is sent from LF+12+ to the LAPTOP MIDI IN.
BUT
Data is not sent back from AXE-FX II to LF+12+ to send effect states, etc. Consequence: all buttons are dimmed on the LF+12+

If I turn off MIDI THRU, data is correctly sent back to LF+12+, but of course the AXE does not send stuff on the midi-thru port,
so the LF+12+ can't control other device (LAPTOP).

I see what you're saying now. I use an MFC 101. So this problem is a little out of my domain. Hopefully one of the local gurus will chime in. I'm not sure how many people use the AxeFX with Midi Guitar either.

I have an LF+JR+ foot controller connected via 7-pin MIDI to the Axe (powered from the FASLINK jack via a modified cable).

I have the same setup. I've had the Liquid Foot Pro+ for less than a month and I'm already loving it. I'm squeezing a lot of tricks out of the Axe FX II.

The Foot works great when the Axe is the only thing in the midi signal path and Midi Thru is set to OFF on the Axe. However, as soon as I set Midi Thru to ON, the Foot starts receiving strange data. It messes up the names of the presets. Letters are missing and all the presets start getting the same name.

I want to control Ableton Live and/or lighting software from the laptop. When using the Midi Thru on the Axe, it seems to send midi alright, but the Liquid Foot LED labels become miswritten.

Anybody have experience with midi splitter devices? I have a passive Y midi splitter cable. A single device works. Either the laptop or the Axe Fx. As soon as I plug both in, the Axe gets midi but the laptop doesn't.

I've tried different combinations of these two settings - and some other ones too. Nothing works. I've ordered a midi splitter hardware device which has some filter options on board. Going to give that a shot. The idea is to split the signal at the source into two discrete midi paths so that the LF and Axe can communicate directly and the other path goes straight to the laptop. We'll see if it works. (only disadvantage is that I won't be able to use my 7pin phantom power cable. Haven't found any midi splitters in 7pin format).

I contacted FAS support about this and they were honest and said that us midi-thru users are in such a minority that this issue probably won't be getting attention anytime soon. ...even then, probably only for the III. At least he didn't BS me.

I think we're going to see midi-thru users grow a lot. A few years ago I thought I was one of the only guys w an automated light show. Now people are coming out of the woodwork controlling lights, backing tracks, lyric displays etc. Actually, this kind of thing is more important for me on my solo shows than on full band gigs.

I'm determined to exhaust every possibility to get this to work. Let me hear from you if you make any headway.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom