Axe FX Ultra Pedal??

Dancetonoise

My goal is to use this thing live and I was wondering if there is a footswitch that could be used to turn effects on and off and switching from a clean channel back to a crunch channel and vice-versa??

LOTS of options available....liquid foot, gordius, FAS's very own MFC, midi mate, etc etc. Do a search, or check the midi controller section of the forum.

As far as clean/crunch channel, that is more like the X/Y switching in the II. The ultra doesn't have this feature, so what I do if I want a 'clean' and a 'crunch' variant of the same amp is just store two different presets next to each other. The axe's latency is very very low, so you can switch them with ease.

I've used the Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro for a year now, with good results running my Axe Fx Ultra. I have an expression pedal (just an Ernie Ball volume pedal) wired to it for wah and volume control. It programs easily and can either do all presets or banks, similar to the MFC-101. I'd love to swap to the MFC when money allows, as it is built for the FX and allows direct connections at long lengths with CAT5 cables. But for right now, this unit is filling the bill. You can find them used on Ebay pretty regularly (just search ground control midi). Hope that helps you!

Moving to the Axe II now, so I will be re-programming the pedal again. Actually looking forward to applying some lessons I've learned with the Ultra.

Last edited:
You can do a clean/crunch patch using an OD/distortion block and using the foot switch to turn the OD off or on. I have several patches like that.

You can use a modifier on gain and make it switchable so in some ways have "channel switching" within a patch.

You can use a modifier on gain and make it switchable so in some ways have "channel switching" within a patch.

This is what I like to do more so than using OD blocks, you maintain more of the amp's tone opposed to adding the color of an OD sim. Also simultaneously linking the cc to the level parameter helps with the volume changes when going from clean to crunch. It's a little more involved in setup but the results are well worth it.

Well that will overdrive the amp, but as for switching amp 'channels', well the channels are modelled as different 'amp' settings, eg mesa clean, mesa crunch, so if you're after a different CHANNEL, you'll have to use the different presets like I mentioned above. If you want to just drive the front of the amp, you can do that by placing a drive at the front.

ah yea, forgot about that. most of my presets use 2 amps anyway, but you CAN do it that way as well

Back
Top Bottom