Axe-FX Ultra Input Problem

Yeah, it's just a circuit or chip or whatever that the front and rear left input share that popped. I'm sure it's just a piece of off-the-shelf electronics that could be replaced by any reputable shop as long as they know what it is.

Glad to be of help!

Well i just sent my ULTRA off to TOTALLY TECHNICAL PTY LTD the only authorised repairer in Australia..hopefully won't take too long and won't cost too much...postage one way is already $65.00....and their rates are $110.00 per hour plus parts!!! I'll let you know what happens next

Wow this problem has really scared me. I'm currently using my Ultra in a semi professional band and i have NO backup! Silly i know! However everytime i unlplug my guitars i make sure the Input knob is turned right down, and the output knob is also down for good measure! I hope this method eliminates any of these 'popping' type of issues! I can only hope.

Hey Deltafit.....it certainly knocked the wind out of me ...i had just purchased 2x Atomic Reactor FR Cabs two days prior and was really enjoying the WICKED difference they make to your sound.....I have just ordered a power conditioner and a couple of Circuit Breaker Guitar Cables to try and minamize the future risk...Hoping my repair bill isn't going to be over the top.....

However everytime i unlplug my guitars i make sure the Input knob is turned right down, and the output knob is also down for good measure! I hope this method eliminates any of these 'popping' type of issues! I can only hope.
No, it doesn't.

The input pot controls the signal level to the AD converters, if I understand correctly the input circuit popped.

Repeat with me: backup is my friend, backup let me sleep well ad night, backup let me gig happy...

Repeat with me: backup is my friend, backup let me sleep well ad night, backup let me gig happy...
Trouble is, at what station does that train of thought wind up..?
unsure.gif

Have you got a spare PA..? A substitute mixer..? A replacement engine for the van sat in the back..? The only way to cover all bases is to have another vehicle loaded with an identical rig... and that ain't happening!
laughing.gif

My back-up..? iRig on iPhone. I really, really hope I never need it, but if it's the mixer which has gone pop, we're screwed anyway!

Have you got a spare PA..? A substitute mixer..? A replacement engine for the van sat in the back..? The only way to cover all bases is to have another vehicle loaded with an identical rig... and that ain't happening!
I am a musician, not the sound guy.

Should I bring with me a couple of 10KWatts speakers and a subwoofer?

I have a behringer v-amp with it's pedalboard in the van, strings guitars and cables. This covers the majority of the cases if the shit will hit the fan.

I've got a Fender Mustang 2 I'm using as a backup until my repaired Axe-FX is delivered on Thursday. For all of the $100 it cost me (I had a gift card that paid for half) it has really great sound. And if it get stolen or smashed I'm not really heartbroken.

Well, the UPS man just dropped off my repaired AxeFX Ultra. I plugged it in and it works perfectly. After 2 weeks of playing through my Mustang I really appreciate the awesome tone I get fromm the AxeFX.

Mocka, keep us posted on your situation. If your problem is what mine was, it won't be a huge cost to you other than the inconvenience of having your AxeFX away. Ouch! You had just bought the Atomic FR powered cabs? I have 2 of them as well and know how awesome they are. I hope you have your AxeFX back soon!

Hey Deltafit.....it certainly knocked the wind out of me ...i had just purchased 2x Atomic Reactor FR Cabs two days prior and was really enjoying the WICKED difference they make to your sound.....I have just ordered a power conditioner and a couple of Circuit Breaker Guitar Cables to try and minamize the future risk...Hoping my repair bill isn't going to be over the top.....

I just had my input level go WAY down the other night (2 green lights max). After all my cables and connections were tested it ended up going away when I switched to the neck pickup. Any chance this is an isolated bad pickup? Could I be heading toward what the OP got?

I will play a different guitar through it tonight to see if will happen again.

Last edited:
Thanks Ben, got an e-mail back from the repairer just to say they received my ULTRA ....they won't be able to get to it till end of next week !!!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's a simple fix
A mate of mine has an ULTRA and has been struggling with getting some GOOD USABLE SOUNDS...as i was....until he heard it through the Atomic Cabs....unbelievable!!!....So seeing as my unit was out of action i offered him my cabs to use as he had a gig ....went and saw his band last night and quite a few local muso's were there and commented on his "NEW" sound...after the gig he couldn't thank me enough and said he had placed an order for some. Anyway soon as i know what's happening i'll let you know ...Cheers

Well...after reading the OP and it putting the wind up me the inevitable happened....my Axefx 'blipped' at a gig. (An arena gig at that too!) i had just finished setting up and was going through my patches when all of a sudden when i switched to a patch, nothing came out!! Everything was where it should be....guitar knob up, expression volume pedal up, Axefx input knob up....SHIT!! I turned my Axefx off and back on and it went back to normal with everything working....PHHHHEWW!! What could of caused this? I'm hoping it was just some kind of a MIDI glitch. But would that interfere with the input signal?? I could still change patches (so obviously my Axefx didn't 'crash') but there was just no input signal whatsoever. Luckily i played the gig without any kind of hickups but it really threw me. Had my Ultra for 2.5 years now without anything like this happen so its quite unsettling.

Again, i still haven't got any type of backup as yet but on Scott's advice i think i'm gonna go with a Zoom G3.

If it's a true emergency just jack into rear right input. I think the chances of all 3 inputs failing at once is pretty low, unless your Axe-FX is spewing smoke and fire.

If it's a true emergency just jack into rear right input. I think the chances of all 3 inputs failing at once is pretty low, unless your Axe-FX is spewing smoke and fire.

Yeah, thanks for that Ben always good to know the Axefx has a backup input jack :)

You can control the input level via midi, it was probably set to 0.

Nope, everything was definitely full up i checked all possible reasons for no input signal.

The problem is that the rear input jacks are line level and not hi-z, so it's not really a long-term solution to the front input being on the fritz.

Nope, everything was definitely full up i checked all possible reasons for no input signal.

At the I/O: CTRL page is "Input Volume" set to "none"? If it's set to a CC# a controller/Axe glitch could make the Axe interpret something as a 0 value for that CC#. There's nowhere to actually view the current input vol. value but setting it to "none" or power cycling will return level to 100%.

Back
Top Bottom