Axe-Fx Tone Matching for Standard and Ultra Tutorial: Periphery Tone

I thought I'd show you the difference of how it sounds when a patch is being used with another guitar. Here's my PRS CE-24 which is WAYYY darker than the Music Man:

So ofcourse the main character is there but it is most likely darker than the original. On my Music Man it sounds pretty much spot on.

Thanks for your tutorials. I watched the one you had before this on tone matching and the Petrucci tone you were able to achieve was impressive!

I have a question for you as far as tone matching goes, and sorry if I am misinterpreting. It seems like if you tone match a clip, izotope is going to generate an eq for you based on the guitar you are playing, the pickups, and even your picking style and playing, etc. Wouldn't that mean that if you share a tone matched IR chances are it will sound very different if played by someone else? I noticed that when I used your older periphery IR it sounded nothing like what misha sounds like, so I made a tone matched IR to a clip from the beginning of letter experiment for myself that sounded much better. In the end it seems like if you want to get close to 100% accuracy, most people will need to do the tone matching method themselves using izotope.

of course the patch might not sound the same bro :p

The guitar, pickups, cable, strings, wood of the guitar, hell even the environment the guitar is kept weights a significant amount of time.

Misha said once, i can give you all my equipment and you still wouldn't sound the same. and thats totally true, the guitar player plays a significant portion as well. the picking style, finger placements and whatnot. In any case, i tried the patch on a friends Ultra ( because mine is back in my hometown ) and it worked perfectly. of course i tweaked the amp, comp, drive settings to my liking. I used an Ibanez RGD 7 with Aftermaths, just for reference.

It seems like if you tone match a clip, izotope is going to generate an eq for you based on the guitar you are playing, the pickups, and even your picking style and playing, etc. Wouldn't that mean that if you share a tone matched IR chances are it will sound very different if played by someone else? I noticed that when I used your older periphery IR it sounded nothing like what misha sounds like, so I made a tone matched IR to a clip from the beginning of letter experiment for myself that sounded much better. In the end it seems like if you want to get close to 100% accuracy, most people will need to do the tone matching method themselves using izotope.

Watch the video. Around 30 seconds in is when I talk about this. :) This is also something people that are sharing their "matched tones" on this forum should take to consideration.

Yooooooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooo!!

Thanks again buddy!! I´m proud to feel happy with my Standard, and now I have my own tone matching tool courtesy of Clark Kent!! only need the last Cliff Standard/Ultra update with 800 Arredondo Mod and Megan Fox in my bed...

I know, small things make me happy :mrgreen

Thanks for a great tutorial, Clark!
I have followed it as far as I can with my Mac, but need a substitute for the Voxengo Deconvolver since there is no mac version for this.

Anyone know how to do this on a mac?

Cheers!
- jonah

I use the IR utility in Logic Pro (which is part of space designer) for the deconvolving process....

Logic Pro is mac based - available at apple's app store....

Thanks Clark!
I am using your method to make an acoustic sim for my humbucking guitar.
Great fun :)

Jens

When i try to import the .syx file into axe edit there is always the error:

"the file appears to be invalid! please check the source type"

so why cant i open this preset =(

problem fixed.

i had to click on "audition" instead of import it directly or with "send to.." i dont know why but it works.

Sorry to raise such an old thread.
I've searched but with no luck.

But I'd really like to do this with an piezo acoustic to sound mic'd up.
I could provide the two samples with my Taylor 114ce.

Would this work and can anyone give me a hand?
Saw a vid on youtube where a guy did with axe2 and tonematch

Back
Top Bottom