AXE-FX TIMEOUT! READ THIS FIRST

bwanagary

Administrator
Okay, if I had a penny for every time I saw this panicked message on the forum I would be independently wealthy.

ALWAYS CHECK THE PORT YOUR MFC-101 IS USING TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE AXE-FX FIRST! ALWAYS!

You can check this by pressing the EDIT switch on your MFC-101. Then press the MIDI switch on your MFC-101. Then press the UP or DOWN switches on your MFC-101 until the port matches the connection you have made between the MFC-101 and the Axe-Fx. It will be one of FASLINK, EXPANSION or MIDI. Since about Firmware 3.05 or so the default port is the FASLINK for the Mark III. 90% of TIMEOUTS are because this setting is incorrect - it doesn't match the cabling between the MFC-101 and the Axe-Fx. Also, if you have an XL or XL+ make sure that the MFC port in the Axe-Fx is also correctly set in the I/O->MIDI page from the Axe-Fx console (see section 9.3 of the Axe-Fx II Owner's Manual). There are other reasons possible (bad cables, for example) but its nearly always the wrong setting in the MFC-101 and/or the Axe-Fx II I/O->MIDI sections.

If all else fails, read the section from the MFC-101 Owner's Manual that states:

“Name Timeout” errors are difficult to troubleshoot. They can be caused by various issues, ranging from incorrect
settings in the MFC-101, to faulty cables, to product damage. Every Axe-Fx and MFC-101 are tested at the factory for proper communication and operation of all ports. If you encounter a name timeout problem, we will work with you to resolve the issue.

First, check to be sure that all cables are seated properly. Confirm that you have the correct port and Axe-Fx mode selected in the MFC -101. See Chapter 3 of this manual for BASIC SETTINGS.

If the problem persists, try a different cable. If you are using a 5-pin MIDI cable, the name timeout may indicate an inferior cable, wired on only three pins. Likewise for a 7-pin cable, which maybe wired on only five pins. Cables can also be defective (yes, even brand-new ones). If you’re using an Ethernet or EtherCON cable, make sure it’s not a crossover type. One of the real problems with damaged cables is that they can also cause damage to your Axe-Fx II or MFC-101.

Note: if your Internet/EtherCON port is not working, you may still be able to use the Axe‐Fx and MFC‐101 together over 7-pin or 5‐pin MIDI with either phantom power or by connecting the supplied AC adapter directly to the MFC-101.

If trouble persists, your Axe-*‐Fx II probably requires service. Port damage can be caused by faulty cables, connecting/disconnecting carelessly/with power on, inserting the wrong type of cable in your Axe-Fx II MFC port, connecting it to a hub/router, or a number of other mishaps.

If you’ve gone through all of the above options and you still encounter a name timeout problem, please contact us
via support.fractalaudio.com. Let us know what you’ve already tried and we will help arrange service.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom