Axe FX & The Power Of MIDI

psguitar

Hello!

Can somebody please give me a guide on how to program preset / scene changes using a DAW? I am relatively new to using MIDI and have been trying to figure this out for a while.

I am running Logic Pro X on a Macbook Pro 13'' (through USB). I have recorded many songs on there and would like for Logic to automatically switch presets or scenes when I reach a certain part of the song. Do I need anything else for this to work, such as a midi cable?

I have looked at various threads on the forum and could not figure out how to accomplish this. :-| I know many bands use this technique, so I am sure it is possible somehow! If it is easier on Pro Tools than on Logic Pro X, I may consider switching DAWs solely for this convenience. But it would be amazing if Logic could do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Thank you!

It can be done with logic as I have read posts of ppl doing this. I am a logic user for many years but I have yet to try to implement this. Maybe now is a good time to start. Ill post back here with my results if no one else chimes in first.

From what I have read, I have created an external MIDI track on logic and set the port to "AXE-FX MIDI In". Then I set MIDI Channel to 1 on both Logic and my Axe-FX II Mark II. Now I do not know how to make program changes in the event list.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-logic-pro-x-program-changes-help-please.html

^^ This thread helps to get the initial things set up, but I do not know where to go from there.

By the way, I am using my Axe FX as an audio interface for my computer, and Output 1 on the Axe is going into 2 studio monitors.

Connect AxeFX to MacBook Pro via USB

Open Logic and set up a new External MIDI Track. Right click on the main Arrange Window and 'Create Empty MIDI Region'.

In the Inspector Panel down the left side, there will be a drop-down triangle for opening some MIDI options such as Port and Channel etc (un-tick and then ignore the Program Change option there and ensure that the slider for that track is up to 127 or it will restrict your guitar input).

Still in the Inspector, select the AxeFX in the MIDI Port list and set the MIDI channel to match that of your AxeFX (check your AxeFX I/O on front panel)

With the new MIDI Region you created in the Arrange Window still selected, open the Event List Window (cmd 0), hit 'Create' and then 'Progr. Change'. Set the number in the 'Val' column to correspond to the Preset you want on your AxeFX

For Scene changes, Create a Controller and change the value in the 'Num' column to 34 - altering 'Val' to the right of that from 0 upwards will scan you up and down through the Scenes

You can then position and duplicate / alter these commands wherever you like throughout the sequence
thumbsup.gif

Wow, UnsungHeroGuitars I cannot thank you enough. Preset and scene changes are working beautifully now. Your instructions were very clear :D

A couple quick questions. In the Event List, where it says Length/Info, can I make notes to say what I'm changing? It looks like standard names for Logic's instruments. For instance it says "E. Piano1" for preset 4 or "Dulcimer" for preset 15. If it's not possible I don't mind too much.

Again, thanks so much. Playing live will be great from now on. :)

One more quick question now that you are here, if you can :D

I looked at the MIDI chart on the Axe FX Manual. It looks like every function has a corresponding CC#. For example Flanger 1 Bypass has CC #56, while Scene Select has CC #34 as you told me. Now how can I toggle the bypass of Flanger on CC #56? My intuition was that Value would change between 0 or 1 (for binary on or off), but that doesn't seem to work.

Hi guys! This the only thread I can find the clear answer on program change (looking simple) question. Exploring further Logic/AXE collaboration I'm wondering how to manage tap tempo per song? Let say - I want to Logic send in the beginning of each song tempo info to AXE. I saw in manual CC#14 reserved for tempo tap, but what value should be? Midi restricted to 0-127 - but if I have tempo 130 - what should I type in?

Back
Top Bottom