Axe-Fx takes external pedals like a champ!!!!

romanianreaper

Power User
I'm sure this has been discussed to death but just got some pedals from a friend of mine over the past year (Robert Keeley from Keeley Electronics) and have used them into the front of the unit with no issues. Just sounds so great!

I got the D&M Overdrive/Boost from him a few weeks ago and have been using it with the Axe-Fx Dirty Shirley 2 amp. The Dirty Shirley 2 in the unit is outstanding on it's own. It is AC/DC in a box. I have been using that amp with the drive down to about 9 o'clock and then using the Keeley D&M to push the front of the amp. I get an amazing Cult tone, G&R, etc.

I have also used the Keeley Dark Side into a Pink Floyd type preset with great results as well as his Oxblood overdrive pedal. I'm not sure if people often use external pedals with so many inside the unit but just wanted to give my two cents and a run down of my experience. Oh, I've used the Friedman BE-OD as well. That one works great too!

I agree the Axe Fx takes pedals really well, I leave my CAE boost on and vary the gain depending on the guitar.
My home setup signal chain is the following:
Guitar --> CAE Boost/Line driver -->ADA PBFlanger --> Whammy DT --> Banshee Talkbox --> Axe Fx II

I also connect output 2 into my TC Voice Live 3 Extreme using Radial ABY box to kill the signal.

I prefer using pedals. One of these days I'm gonna do a show-off post of my big pedal board and the noises I make with it and an AFX...

It does! I've long run fuzz pedals out in front with great results.

The only caveat: you can't use pedals to "hit the amp harder" the way you might in a traditional amp setup. Gotta watch those output levels.

I use a whole lot of external pedals in front of the Axe. and yes, like Ian said, you can't hit the input quite as hard as with a real amp, but since it's only pre amp volume, it's easy to simulte with Input Trim and keep the actual pedal roughly round unity.

Back
Top Bottom