Axe-FX Sync Timeout!

Stratoblaster

Fractal Fanatic
I'm having an issue with my MFC and the AxeFX2 and it's happened twice since I got the unit yesterday.

I setup and upgraded the AXF2 to firmware 1.04 and the MFC to 1.02, and everything (program changes, pedals) etc. were working fine, even after a couple of power cycles. I'm powering the MFC using a Best-Tronics Cat5 cable and communicating with it.

I shutdown for a couple of hours yesterday, powered back up, and programs changes are intermittent and I'm getting "Axe-FX Sync Timeout!" errors on the MFC. Switching programs are very slow (if they do indeed switch). The states of the effects LED's on the MFC are not reflecting the states of the presets effects. I did factory resets on the MFC and AFX2 and things got back up running.

This morning I'm again having the same issues after being powered down overnight. I tried powering the MFC after the Axe2 started backup with no luck.

As well, if I click any of the front panel buttons (Edit, Layout, etc) the selected mode only stays selected for a couple of seconds then the preset Recalls itself.

This is happening with the factory presets out of the box.

It seems after being shut off for a few hours and powering them back up there is something glitchy and the devices are not talking properly.

Edit: It seems after both units are powered up for a few minutes this behavior goes away and/or gets better.

Edit: Yes, I can replicate this behavior after powering down for several minutes and restarting; after a few minutes of being powered on the units start to communicate better but still have an occasional stutter.

Last edited:
How long is your cable? Some people, including me have been having trouble with cable runs over 15-20 feet. I'm wondering if you maybe have similar trouble and are running a cable in the middle range and getting intermittent behavior. Pure speculation on my part. I emailed FA and Marty told me that some early units had issues with one of the ethernet connections which results in the cable running unbalanced rather than balanced. That causes longer cable runs not to work and, again, speculating, makes me think that there might be an increase in "noise" at a point before complete failure which might cause odd behavior.

I'm going to send my II in to be checked on Friday, much as it pains me to part with it. I'd email them with your concern.

How long is your cable? Some people, including me have been having trouble with cable runs over 15-20 feet.

I'm using a 25' ethernet cable which I'm also now thinking is a possible issue; I'm going to try a much shorter one and see what happens.

The communications via the ethernet port seems to be sensitive to cable length.

I tried three high quality Cat 6 cables in different lengths, 18', 20', and 25'.

I can immediate sync with the 18' and 20' cables, and get AXE-FX SYNC TIMEOUT! with the 25' cable.

However, with both 25' Cat 5e and Cat 6 cables, after 3 -> 5 minutes after powerup the communications start to get better (the timeout errors go away and the patch switching only stutters occasionally; when first powered up the sync errors appear immediately and patch switching is very slow).

Not that I need this much length, but I just tested out a 50' Cat 5e cable last night and it worked flawlessly. It's just a Belkin cable, so nothing special or expensive.

How long is your cable? Some people, including me have been having trouble with cable runs over 15-20 feet. I'm wondering if you maybe have similar trouble and are running a cable in the middle range and getting intermittent behavior. Pure speculation on my part. I emailed FA and Marty told me that some early units had issues with one of the ethernet connections which results in the cable running unbalanced rather than balanced. That causes longer cable runs not to work and, again, speculating, makes me think that there might be an increase in "noise" at a point before complete failure which might cause odd behavior.

I'm going to send my II in to be checked on Friday, much as it pains me to part with it. I'd email them with your concern.

So is it the axe-fx II that is the problem or the MFC cause they told me to send them the MFC

Back
Top Bottom