Axe-Fx & Superdelay question

Hi, I am using an Empress SuperDelay with my Axe-Fx, and wanted to ask if my current routing approach is the best. Sounds fine to me as is.

Instrument connected to front panel.

Preset has the FX loop enabled just before the cab block. I am using the output 2 rear (fx send) into the superdelay then going back out of the SuperDelay into input 2 (fx return) on the rear of the Axe-Fx.

I only ask as there appears to be a host of options into routing, and wanted to consider all options in case there is another/better/different method I've overlooked.

That's how I ran my superdelay with the Axe-Fx -- gives you the ability to choose where the superdelay gets its signal from in the chain and (how cool is this) where it returns that delayed signal to the in the chain.

My superdelay is collecting a little bit of dust these days though. Once I duplicated my settings on the Axe-Fx (my whole reason for connecting it up in the first place) I didn't need to carry it with me anymore.

Thanks for the reply Ian. Could you expand on how you return it at any place in the chain... I'm not following how this is done?

When I have my effects loop setup I have it in place before the cab/s, but that the only place where I see a send/return option.... Is what you're refering to something to do with the feedback return/send blocks or something else?

Thanks in advance
-Fletch

rockstarzusa said:
Thanks for the reply Ian. Could you expand on how you return it at any place in the chain... I'm not following how this is done?
You've got, on the Axe-Fx, a Feedback Send and Feedback Return block. So you branch to the Effects Loop block and after the Effects loop block you put a Feedback Send block. Then, wherever you want the signal to return back in to your chain you put the Feedback Return block. Crazy when you start to try and put your head around it really.

When I have my effects loop setup I have it in place before the cab/s, but that the only place where I see a send/return option.... Is what you're refering to something to do with the feedback return/send blocks or something else?
Yup. As long as you put the Effects Loop on its own track/rail/branch whatever you call it, you can get pretty crazy with things. Attach a CC to the Feedback Return's mix knob and you can basically get an infinite loop going on the superdelay and then swell it, and fade it out, with your foot.

In terms of sound, I think this pedal is redundant to the Axe-FX.

Is it just that you want your hands on the knobs, or that you want delay continuity across presets?

Matman said:
Is it just that you want your hands on the knobs, or that you want delay continuity across presets?

Hi Matman.... Good valid question. Several reasons why the SuperDelay (and others) are still in use.

1) I use a Ground Control Pro, and although I've got tap tempo configured with my GCP, I don't like the approach to it. Tap the switch once, then release it to get the speed of the tap tempo. I am used to the approach of tapping in the speed over a few beats like the SuperDelay/Replica/Nova Delay offer. If programming the tap tempo on my GCP can be done in this manner I have not found it or managed to find anything online to support that approach.

2) Depending on what time signature I've inputted to tap tempo per patch, it feels quirky to me on some things that are at 1/4, others at 1/8 to correctly enter the tap for a given delay trail.

3) I play full time (studio/live/sessions), and, as well versed as I am with most aspects of sound design with the Axe-Fx I need something tactile that can instantly be dialed in with a turn of a knob or a flick of the switch (SD mini toggles for eg). If I'm doing a live gig, and I feel that I want to shift my delay trails on the spur of the moment, this allows me this. I can add modulation tails, shift feedback, adjust the delay mix instantly, which playing around on a computer screen would take too long to do so-for me, in the seconds before or after a song.

4) I like the sound & features of the SuperDelay. Don't get me wrong, the delays and verbs on the axe-Fx are worldclass, and I use them constantly, but for my applications and my approach I prefer a few thing external from the box. The tremolo and vibe and awesome in the Axe-Fx as well... but I still have an Empress Tap Tremolo, & an Option 5 Destination Rotation on my board as well.

Actually a question for you Matman... your sig has the Virus TI in it. I've been doing EXTENSIVE research on these. What is your take on the TI vs the TI2. I was looking at an Indigo II, or even a Virus C, but the TI does step up some new useful features like HyperSaw etc.... whats your take on them?

Yup. As long as you put the Effects Loop on its own track/rail/branch whatever you call it, you can get pretty crazy with things. Attach a CC to the Feedback Return's mix knob and you can basically get an infinite loop going on the superdelay and then swell it, and fade it out, with your foot.

Ok, thats really taking it out there, I understand what you're saying..... you must have some pretty unique patches yourself then. I have 4 expression pedals at my disposal to do some unusual things... maybe I'll get around to doing this exact thing. Cheers.

rockstarzusa said:
Matman said:
1) I use a Ground Control Pro, and although I've got tap tempo configured with my GCP, I don't like the approach to it. Tap the switch once, then release it to get the speed of the tap tempo. I am used to the approach of tapping in the speed over a few beats like the SuperDelay/Replica/Nova Delay offer. If programming the tap tempo on my GCP can be done in this manner I have not found it or managed to find anything online to support that approach.
Something is wrong with your GCP setup. You should be able to input a tempo to your Axe-Fx using the same approach you use on the superdelay. I have an IA on my Lexicon assigned to tap tempo and I just...tap it...to set the tempo. Same as the superdelay.

2) Depending on what time signature I've inputted to tap tempo per patch, it feels quirky to me on some things that are at 1/4, others at 1/8 to correctly enter the tap for a given delay trail.
On a per-delay block basis you can set the divisions that the delay gets set to based on the global or patch tempo. So if you want 1/8 notes you set it to 1/8, but you still tap in 1/4 notes via the tap tempo switch. The unit just scales the delay time according to what you set. It's got dotted 1/8's, 1/2's...all kinds of divisions available. More than the superdelay.

[quote="rockstarzusa"
[/quote]

You need to configure the IA switch as latching, not momentary. Then you can tap the tempo. The next firmware release will have tempo averaging which will make tap tempo easier to use as well.

Back
Top Bottom